Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a dedicated O/U gun for upland hunting. Having to be a Beretta is the only requirement and I don't want to spend stupid money on it because it will inevitably get dings, etc.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
20,345 Posts
Buy a Beretta.

Don T

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously. Model recommendation is more along the lines of the recommendation I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have a Beretta 686 in 20 gauge with an English stock. It is fabulous for Grouse, as it is just under 6 pounds and points fast. They are also available in your standard stocked versions. They sell used $800 - $1,200 (in both 12 and 20 gauge). I have a 682 sporting for pheasant… it is a bit heavy to carry, but trapshooting has spoiled me for wide ribs.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a 686 onyx 12ga.28" barrels and love it. I have had the gun for approx. 9yrs. and shot many upland birds with it with zero problems. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as your go to upland bird gun. Joe

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
A "best deal" Beretta is the BL-4 series that preceded the 680 guns. I hunt with a 28" mod/full 20 gauge. I like a little rougher gun for AZ hunting as I can fall down sometimes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 687 20 ga. Beretta and a 686 12 ga. Beretta for my upland combo. Twenty is for the occasional grouse as I typically carry a 16 gauge SxS Parker. Twelve bore is for pheasant when they are flushing long. Don't try a SxS Rich219 it's like heroine you'll be hooked and find yourself leaving those old O/U at home. LOL You can't go wrong with the Berettas! Jerry

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I have a Beretaa 686 Silver Pigeon 12 gauge with 26" barrels that I have had a lot of great hunts with and also a 686 12 gauge Ultra lite 28" that is a joy to carry and swings with no effort but you don't want to shoot much more than a target type load in it because at 5 1/2 pounds it does kick. I don't fear the dings one either of these guns and they both show many battle scars. This is what they are for and if it get to the point where they are just too ugly, I will refinish them which only takes a bit of elbow grease an a few dollars worth of finish.

Which ever model you choose, I would get it in 12 gauge. You can cover all the bases this way just by changing your shells. Anything from a heavy 1 3/8 Oz rooster load to a lite 7/8 oz qail load is just a ammo switch.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Check with Beikirch's!"

I'll be sure to run down there today and get in line when they open so I can hope to be waited on before closing.

The 686 Silver Pigeon I is kind of what I was leaning toward.

I already have the dog to work the birds I just want to get another O/U to shoot them with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts