Upgrading to O/U | Trap Shooters Forum

Upgrading to O/U

Discussion in 'Youth Trapshooting Section' started by Mdhart, Aug 1, 2020 at 4:28 PM.

1. Mdhart

Mdhart TS Member

I have a 14yr. old that is shooting a a300 outlander. This is his second year and thinking of switching him to a o/u. I know fit is the biggest thing but any other info that can help is appreciated. What to look for, models, etc.

2. Henry winn

Henry winn Well-Known Member

Next step up would be an xt.

t jordan and WesleyB thanked this.
  3. reyper

reyper TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'd recommend allowing your kid to try an O/U first. Quite confident most any fellow shooter would allow this. Lots of variables and recoil of a breech loader may be too harsh for him/her and have a negative effect. Although a bit more expense route to take, a breech opening gun with a PFS stock will allow you to properly fit the gun and adjust the gun as your kid grows. That tip is from personal experience. In the long run you will see it is probably the best investment you can do for them. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

two shoes, entropy and Mdhart thanked this.
  4. Mdhart

Mdhart TS Member

Yes I am worried on recoil and wt of o/u. He has shot a friends 20g o/u when he first started so has a little time with one. He shot 200 target shoot yesterday and was behind a lot of birds. So trying to figure out if a trap gun with higher poi will help him over a flat shooting field gun. Plus not sure how long the a300 will last shooting 100-200 rds a wk

5. entropy

entropy Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Higher POI won't help with being behind the birds. That a300 with hold out a while yet. No rush.

6. Bronco123

Bronco123 TS Member

Definitely let him try a few out.
    My son was a little behind targets also when we first went to a heavier gun.
    The recoil and fit can be dealt with using a rad or gracoil.
    My son practiced on the wall of the bedroom while his brother or sister or mom or myself moved a flashlight around so he could build those muscles and mount it consistently.
    It did not take him long to get where he needed to be.