Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ended up buying a new Browning BT-99 (with adjustable comb). I am thinking of buying a mercury recoil reducer and adjustable butt plate for it.

I just wanted to see what upgrades you all recommend for a gun like this that might be a benefit. Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you got the factory adjustable comb, I would consider changing the hardware on it. The browning hardware leaves a lot to be desired. If you are going with an adjustable but plate you could consider one with a recoil reducer instead of the mercury one. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Many shooters dont realize the benefits of a recoil reducer. Its not just to prevent a sore shoulder. It removes the cheek slap that can keep you from staying in the gun. Gracoil is my personal favorite.

No survivors

Bill

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! It seems I should get kind of a combination of the two and go ahead and get a recoil reducer. This may be a dumb question, but with the rearward movement of the gun with the recoil reducer does that cause your cheek to rub on the stock? I've never shot with one other than a shot or two.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adding a pfs to mine was the best thing I've ever done to any shotgun.
I've seen the PFS, never shot one though. How would you compare these to some of the other options like the gracoil recoil reducers, if you've shot both? This is definitely another consideration.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The PFS has enough adjustment to fit almost everyone. If they made a grip for my doubles gun I would have one on there also.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've seen the PFS, never shot one though. How would you compare these to some of the other options like the gracoil recoil reducers, if you've shot both? This is definitely another consideration.
I had an adjustable comb with a gracoil on it before and the pfs soaks up more recoil plus the cheek piece doesn't move like it does with the gracoil. The pfs will allow a shorter lop if the comb is already cut. Mine is set to 13-7/8 with a full 1" pad and a pitch spacer. The closest I could get before with the gracoil was 14-1/8 with a 5/8" pad. The pfs grip is also more vertical with a shorter trigger reach then any stock wood grip on a 99 I've seen. Everything is adjustable on the pfs and with a wider range of adjustments plus reduced recoil more, at least for me. I'm planning on getting a second one for my doubles gun.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
What I did with my Citori was have an adjustable comb installed by Tom Larkin, then a RAD 2.a. for the recoil system. Great setup, have almost 2000 rounds through it with all the new hardware, and have no complaints and no problems.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Thanks guys! It seems I should get kind of a combination of the two and go ahead and get a recoil reducer. This may be a dumb question, but with the rearward movement of the gun with the recoil reducer does that cause your cheek to rub on the stock? I've never shot with one other than a shot or two.
You have to set the reducer very tight. You dont want much movement

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've not noticed any cheek rub on my BT-99 with a Graco adjustable butt plate and BreaKO 14oz. mercury recoil reducer. It works well, though it feels like the gun 'wiggles' on recoil - not bad, just different. It makes the gun butt-heavy, but it still swings fine - I shot a 24 in league yesterday with it. I missed the last bird 'cause I lifted my head to see it break. :(

However, I have a BumpBuster on my 725 and prefer that over the mercury as it is lighter and doesn't change the balance, but they both work fine.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Certain mechanical reducers have the comb integrated into the system, so only the gun is moving. Because more work and hardware are need they are also more expensive, even more if you want full adjustability. The PFS would be the cheaper option, but then you have the real space age mechanical look also. The others if set correctly, the pull on the cheek would be about similar to the recoiling gun without one, just less shoulder movement. IMO, the extra money would be worth taking the recoil away from the shoulder, and cheek.

From the OP, a mercury recoil reducer and adjustable butt plate would be two good additions. Not only adding more adjustability, but also weight to a what is considered light gun.

Also, I believe Browning eliminated that single post out the butt finally, so if they did the adjustable butt plate should be fine. Either way changing that old systems hardware on the comb was always recommended if anything was done to the butt plate area. It was a great idea making it one bolt for adjusting, but it also was the weakest link on the shotgun.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if I am understanding correctly with the PFS the comb would stay still as the gun recoils preventing that cheek rub correct?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yes, pretty much. Not completely, but more so.

Reactions: Pullthattarget

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Alright so crazy idea here. Im liking this PFS. What do y'all think about getting the gun nickel plated and possibly wood grips for the PFS (I have to check on pricing, if any of you know that would be great)

Edit: I know this is beyond regular upgrades but more down the road for fun.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Just remember that any add-ons very rarely recoup the money put out, especially on a lower cost gun. Nickel plating being one. The PFS however does hold value, simply because the grip is the only change needed if sold. I must say that I see very few PFS on the BT's, not saying you should not, or it has not been done. It may be that because of the lower initial cost, some of those people may be limited as far as adding those kind of costs to the equation. Some shoot them so well, there never was any thought to have to change.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see what you're saying. After I typed it all out it seemed alittle over the top. I think Ill get a PFS though. Thanks for all of your feedback!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts