Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assembled the beast tonight. Since I am limited on space I need to "break it down" each time I am done so I can get the cars in the garage.

Anyway, on my handicap load with Titegroup, I bumped up one bushing (Hornady 336 to 345)on the powder to see what I'd get, and similarly on the singles reload, I went down one bushing (MEC 29 to a 28.)

In both cases I am pleased with the results. The singles load is still a little hotter than I want, and I may bump down one more bushing. Also a little disappointed in the Standard Deviation with this load. Not horrible, but not "good."

I made a modification to Neil's setup. He had the pneumatic firing mechanism actuated by a manual ball valve.

I bought a solenoid valve off Amazon and a pushbutton at Home Depot. Now I can fire the mechanism remotely from in front of the computer screen.

The singles load is:

Remington Gun Club hulls
0.928 ounces of shot (actual measured)
15.8 grains of Hodgdon Clays
Winchester 209 Primer
Downrange DRRT12 Wads
IMG_20200201_191017575[1].jpg

IMG_20200201_191141414_HDR[1].jpg

The Handicap Load is

Remington Nitro hulls
~1.125 ounces of shot (I measured several and it was pretty close to this, maybe a smidge higher)
18.6 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup
Winchester 209 Primer
Downrange DRRT12 Wads
IMG_20200201_192435466[1].jpg

IMG_20200201_192512675[1].jpg
I hope to make it up to KCTA tomorrow and field test them.

For the good of the sport!!!

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tim, when you field test them, please let us know the brand of shot you used in these reloads - thanks.
I ran out of 8-1/2 shot so the singles loads I will use tomorrow have Lawrence 7-1/2 shot which tested out "Medium" with the hardness tester.

The handicap loads have McAlister 7-1/2 shot in them which also tested out as "Medium." Not what I'd like to be using, but it'll have to do until I can get some STS shot.

Reactions: 4th. down

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tim, what is the pressure for those loads?
If you look under the columns marked "Pressure" and "Peak" in the photos above, they are listed, but you have to multiply the number by 100. So for the first photo where it says "87" that would be 8700 psi.

So the singles load average peak pressure is 8200 psi and the handicap load average peak pressure is 9600 psi.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you, Tim.
The velocity and pressure of Clays powder compared to the Hodgdon reloading data are pretty disappointing. I suspect it may have to do with the change from the manufacturing is Australia to Canada.

·
Registered
574 Posts
So if I understand these charts,in THEORY,you can load a higher velocity load with clays while having a safe chamber pressure?(as compared to tightgroup)

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
If you look under the columns marked "Pressure" and "Peak" in the photos above, they are listed, but you have to multiply the number by 100. So for the first photo where it says "87" that would be 8700 psi.

So the singles load average peak pressure is 8700 psi and the handicap load average peak pressure is 9600 psi.
Should that be 8200 psi and 9600 psi??????

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Hi Tim. You mentioned being a bit disappointed in the standard deviation in the first load. That can cause vertical stringing in a rifle that becomes more of a problem at longer ranges. At the shorter ranges we shoot are you thinking that's a problem? I can't imagine it being that critical in a shotgun. Just curious as I never gave that much thought before.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This kind of test data doesn’t give me a high degree confidence in Hodgdon’s published load data shown on their website.

1 oz load
Tim got 1204 fps @ 8200 PSI with 15.8 gr of Clays and Hodgdon data shows 1180 fps @ 7900 PSI with 17.6 gr Clays.

1-1/8 oz load
Hodgdon data shows 17.1 gr titegroup yields 1200 fps @ 9900 PSI while Tim’s data shows it required 18.6 gr to produce 1211 fps @ 9600 PSI.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Tim,just curious,your past favorite titegroup loads were 17.1 grains @1200 +/-,now your up to 18.6?
It wasn't really 1200 fps. Now that I know that, I bumped it up a bit. I'd rather have my handicap loads a little faster.

But the old formula is still a good cartridge. I will probably use them for second shot of doubles.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Tim. You mentioned being a bit disappointed in the standard deviation in the first load. That can cause vertical stringing in a rifle that becomes more of a problem at longer ranges. At the shorter ranges we shoot are you thinking that's a problem? I can't imagine it being that critical in a shotgun. Just curious as I never gave that much thought before.
Really it's not a big deal from a clay target shooting perspective, especially short range like singles and doubles.

From a "good reloading practices" standpoint, I would rather see my SD's in the single digits.

I'm kinda picky...

Reactions: jk80

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way, both rounds performed excellent today. Even with the medium hardness shot from the 26 yard line. I had a few really good breaks. I'm out of practice, so there were very few...

Reactions: Bob Butler

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
By the way, both rounds performed excellent today. Even with the medium hardness shot from the 26 yard line. I had a few really good breaks. I'm out of practice, so there were very few...
So how did the shoot go today? Did you win anything with the new and improved bullets?

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So how did the shoot go today? Did you win anything with the new and improved bullets?
It was fun. It was a 50 target "fun shoot." Not ATA. No prizes for me. Others shot better.

48 in the singles with the new singles load (25 in a practice round and 24, 24 in the event.) Normally I use 8-1/2 shot for singles but all I had laying around was 7-1/2. Doesn't seem to make a darned bit of difference. Had a few impressive smokeballs. Not bad for having taken several months off from shooting.

41 in handicap with the new load. The problem was with the nut that pulls the trigger, not the ammo. Even with "medium hardness" McAlister shot, I had a handful of nice smokeballs from the 26.

45 in doubles, which for me, is pretty good. For this I used the old singles load for the first shot and the old handicap load for the second shot.

Reactions: phatkaw

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
It was fun. It was a 50 target "fun shoot." Not ATA. No prizes. Others shot better.

48 in the singles with the new singles load (25 in a practice round and 24, 24 in the event.) Normally I use 8-1/2 shot for singles but all I had laying around was 7-1/2. Doesn't seem to make a darned bit of difference. Had a few impressive smokeballs. Not bad for having taken several months off from shooting.

41 in handicap with the new load. The problem was with the nut that pulls the trigger, not the ammo. Even with "medium hardness" McAlister shot, I had a handful of nice smokeballs from the 26.

45 in doubles, which for me, is pretty good. For this I used the old singles load for the first shot and the old handicap load for the second shot.
I wanted to come but just wasn't comfortable leaving Devi that long and being that far away. Do just opened our club here and we were so busy it was tough to get in a few myself.

Was the chili good?

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wanted to come but just wasn't comfortable leaving Devi that long and being that far away. Do just opened our club here and we were so busy it was tough to get in a few myself.

Was the chili good?
Understand about Devi. You needed to be there for her.

Dana's chili was pretty doggone good!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts