Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
I see it differently. I have a mountain of ammo and have been selling some here and there to the people who can't find it and are willing to pay these stupid prices.

I would never screw a fellow shooter and I do not call everyone who shoots a fellow shooter but with the general public, game on.
Right- so it’s ok to screw someone that you don’t know but not someone you consider a “fellow shooter?” I understand retailers charging more when they get ammo/components in because they have overhead and need to keep the lights on. You and the fellow I quoted in my earlier post on this thread to my knowledge do not depend on selling ammunition or components to keep your lights on. You are just taking advantage of someone (fellow shooter or just “another shooter”) that wasn’t prepared for the shortage- I might not feel like that if he didn’t say something along the lines of he would keep the primers if he could just get $36-$40, but since people are willing to pay $75-$100/1000, he is willing to sell them. You must feel similar because you said you have been selling here and there to people willing to pay stupid prices, meaning if they were going for what you paid for them, you’d just keep them.

I guess it’s one thing to do it, also- but then to admit/justify it on a talk forum, doesn’t sit well with me. I say the same thing to people I hear talking about that at clubs, too.

Yeah... no.

Sorry Justin L, I just don't see your point. DuckNut has taken the time to accrue components - call it forethought or being smart, but he has what nobody else has. He has no obligation to move them on in any way, shape, or form.

If he decides to sell/give some to a buddy - that is his right. If someone comes to him desperate for something (let's say primers) it is entirely his right to set his sale price. Don't like the price? You are free to go somewhere else.

I helped two friends sell primers (all types) during the worst of this at $100 per thousand - and each buyer was grateful. I did the same letting stuff go for $60 per thousand - and again every buyer was grateful.

I have always picked up the supplies that people getting out of reloading want to sell - I will buy everything they have. I have powders and primers I will never use. From full cases to a few boxes, presses too. With the craziness that has been going on I have started to organize all of this. I have maybe 40 half cans of powders - which I have sorted. If someone needed 700X or 231 I had them covered (it might be three different cans, but I had what they wanted).

Truth be known I would have given the odd lot stuff to friends in need, but what I found was there were scavengers looking for a killer deal in the middle of a supply crisis. I had someone get angry with me when I offered five pounds of 231 in about ten containers - he demanded that I give him a sealed eight pounder at $5 per pound... that never happened.

So, if you did not see this coming and did not prepare for this you are at the mercy of the market - don't like it... take up knitting.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yeah... no.

Sorry Justin L, I just don't see your point. DuckNut has taken the time to accrue components - call it forethought or being smart, but he has what nobody else has. He has no obligation to move them on in any way, shape, or form.

If he decides to sell/give some to a buddy - that is his right. If someone comes to him desperate for something (let's say primers) it is entirely his right to set his sale price. Don't like the price? You are free to go somewhere else.

I helped two friends sell primers (all types) during the worst of this at $100 per thousand - and each buyer was grateful. I did the same letting stuff go for $60 per thousand - and again every buyer was grateful.

I have always picked up the supplies that people getting out of reloading want to sell - I will buy everything they have. I have powders and primers I will never use. From full cases to a few boxes, presses too. With the craziness that has been going on I have started to organize all of this. I have maybe 40 half cans of powders - which I have sorted. If someone needed 700X or 231 I had them covered (it might be three different cans, but I had what they wanted).

Truth be known I would have given the odd lot stuff to friends in need, but what I found was there were scavengers looking for a killer deal in the middle of a supply crisis. I had someone get angry with me when I offered five pounds of 231 in about ten containers - he demanded that I give him a sealed eight pounder at $5 per pound... that never happened.

So, if you did not see this coming and did not prepare for this you are at the mercy of the market - don't like it... take up knitting.
Right- except I’m not even talking about myself. I have plenty of components to last a while and hopefully get through the shortage. If you want to take advantage of the situation to make a buck, that is your call. But it’s also my call to say someone is a jerk for doing it- look at the youth teams that have been having a hard time getting ammunition to shoot with or just people at your local club that don’t have shells to shoot. If you want to sell primers for $100/1000 or help friends do so- go right ahead. Sounds great, you are selling them for more than bought them for, great businessmen. At the end of the day does what you made change how you or your friends live? I’ll bet not- but go ahead do what you want. I’ll stand by what I said.

Not sure where your comment about the guy that demanded you sell him unopened containers of powder came from- sorry you had a poor experience selling components that priced ridiculously? Not getting sympathy from me on it.

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
Has anyone seen what is going on at live auctions? People are paying $15 a box for any kind of shotgun shells. $100-$200 a thousand for primers. $75 for 30-06 ammo. If a shop owner can buy them, he could just send them to auction and let the buyers set the price. I know people who will complain about an item in a store that is $30 and then go to an auction and pay $40 for it. Seems odd.

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
Right- so it’s ok to screw someone that you don’t know but not someone you consider a “fellow shooter?” I understand retailers charging more when they get ammo/components in because they have overhead and need to keep the lights on. You and the fellow I quoted in my earlier post on this thread to my knowledge do not depend on selling ammunition or components to keep your lights on. You are just taking advantage of someone (fellow shooter or just “another shooter”) that wasn’t prepared for the shortage- I might not feel like that if he didn’t say something along the lines of he would keep the primers if he could just get $36-$40, but since people are willing to pay $75-$100/1000, he is willing to sell them. You must feel similar because you said you have been selling here and there to people willing to pay stupid prices, meaning if they were going for what you paid for them, you’d just keep them.

I guess it’s one thing to do it, also- but then to admit/justify it on a talk forum, doesn’t sit well with me. I say the same thing to people I hear talking about that at clubs, too.
Sorry Justin that you don't understand.

You are right, I do not need to sell ammo at stupid prices to the guy who walks through the door that I do not know to keep the lights on.

But I do have containers of stuff on land that probably cost more than the retailers rent. I also have electricity costs, alarm costs, video surveillance costs and insurance costs. Should I foot those bills for those who fail to plan and provide them the benefit of my planning over their failure?

You also failed to follow my posts on getting ammo over the last two years. I have a friend who sells me ammo at way less than retail costs. He is willing to sell it to me at a lower price because he is a friend and by doing so he is missing out on putting better bourbon in his glass. I have also stated that if I ever sell any of the ammo he sells me then I give him the extra money so he can keep his lights on. I am not in the business of selling ammo, he is. If people are too dumb to prepare or are not willing to search for realistic prices and are willing to pay high prices then I will help their addiction.

I am under no obligation to keep my supply nor sell my supply. The guy who owns the store knows full well he is raping the general consumer the moment they come through his door and yet he makes a conscious decision to oblige separating the addict from his money.

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
If you want to take advantage of the situation to make a buck, that is your call. But it’s also my call to say someone is a jerk for doing it- look at the youth teams that have been having a hard time getting ammunition to shoot with or just people at your local club that don’t have shells to shoot.
I buy shotgun ammo by the pallet for a specific reason. I take new shooters to the range every month (last year it has been about every 2-3 months) and introduce them the the shooting sports. I have done this for years and my intent is to get more young people and other people to become interested in shooting or at least become familiar with firearms and not fear them.

I buy the ammo, I pay all expenses to store the ammo. I provide the ammo to these shooters at MY expense. I provide the ammo so we don't use the ammo the club has available to sell to other shooters. I pay all expenses for these shooters to use the range and I also make sure I tip the club because they are missing out on a little additional profit because I provide the ammo we use. I also give the club a check once a year to help them keep their doors open and the grass cut. (They really appreciate it because there are very few people who volunteer at the clubs and have to pay people to do the daily work)

Yes, I am a jerk. You can sit in your chair and cast generalizations at people but you would be better served learning the facts of the story before calling others names.

Anytime you want to send me money to pay these expenses for these shooters I will gladly tell all of them that you were so kind to provide funds for their day of learning.

When was the last time you made a donation to your local youth teams?

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Right- except I’m not even talking about myself. I have plenty of components to last a while and hopefully get through the shortage. If you want to take advantage of the situation to make a buck, that is your call. But it’s also my call to say someone is a jerk for doing it- look at the youth teams that have been having a hard time getting ammunition to shoot with or just people at your local club that don’t have shells to shoot. If you want to sell primers for $100/1000 or help friends do so- go right ahead. Sounds great, you are selling them for more than bought them for, great businessmen. At the end of the day does what you made change how you or your friends live? I’ll bet not- but go ahead do what you want. I’ll stand by what I said.

Not sure where your comment about the guy that demanded you sell him unopened containers of powder came from- sorry you had a poor experience selling components that priced ridiculously? Not getting sympathy from me on it.

And again - No...

I don't believe asking $5 a pound for 231 powder is "ridiculous." What would you consider a fair price?

I have given away five or six reloading presses - is "free" too expensive??

If you'd followed any of my posts you would know that I, like DuckNut have taken hundreds of people out shooting for their first firearms experience - be it rifle, pistol, or shotgun. It is always as my guest, so yes I must be a price gouger.

Had you dug a bit deeper you would also know that I dropped off 15,000 rounds of ammo at my local gun shop when things got bad - and he could get no ammo. All I asked is that at some point (when sanity returns to the prices) he replace it. Yep - certainly out to make a buck...

My comments reflect experience with people who never thought to plan ahead (the Obama years should have opened your eyes) who end up 'caught short.' When they hear I have what they want they essentially demand it at 1980 prices. The same people I sold bags of shot to for $20 during Obama (dwindling my personal supplies) now respond when asked if they have any shot they tell me the local supply house has it for $55 a bag. Don't get me started on behavior of others when I crank up my shot maker...

I own it - I can keep it, shoot it, give it away, or sell it - but nobody is going to tell what to do with it...

Reactions: 460Ford

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
BPI's price with all of the add-on charges for my order was over $50 per 1K.
Still far better than $70 per 1K as the OP had mentioned. Last time I ordered it was about an $8/1K bump for the hamat and shipping, so a few dollars shy of $50. The other difference is BPI price is delivered to your door, as opposed to driving a few hours each way to find them. I don't own a vehicle where I could drive out and find them where the shipping costs from BPI wouldn't be swamped by gas prices, not to mention my time.

Several folks have stated they can find them locally for under $35 / 1K - that's great. Glad for them. Some significant percentage of the country doesn't have that option as those sources don't exist in their areas. We have a reloading supplier in my area but he's having a hard time getting anything but wads and some powder. If you want to keep shooting you figure out what the best cost option is given the entire picture and roll with it. Or, you save your money and sit on the bench.

·
Registered
25,661 Posts

So. It’s OK for dealers all over the country to charge $100 a flat for $55 dollar shells but it isn’t OK for a guy with a garage stall full of those same shells? When the dealers have no stock? And the wholesalers don’t have any idea when, or for how much, they will have stock again?

I sold all my ammo to friends early on in this shortage. For just what I’d paid. Now there is no ammo for any price in quantity to be had. So I’m out. But in your mind it’s better that I’m out of ammo than that I charged what going price was?

How liberal of you in judging me ( or @DuckNut ) for whatever choice we made to share or keep our inventory. Downright progressive even.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
So how are you going to guess their prices and over head to stay in business. Unless your Wal-Mart who can sell you Ammunition at the price you want to pay.
Steve
Well for instance, I know Cheddites were $29/1000, if I see someone selling them for $39/1000, I have a pretty good idea what they are doing. If I see someone selling them for $100/1000, I have a good idea there too.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sorry Justin that you don't understand.

You are right, I do not need to sell ammo at stupid prices to the guy who walks through the door that I do not know to keep the lights on.

But I do have containers of stuff on land that probably cost more than the retailers rent. I also have electricity costs, alarm costs, video surveillance costs and insurance costs. Should I foot those bills for those who fail to plan and provide them the benefit of my planning over their failure?

You also failed to follow my posts on getting ammo over the last two years. I have a friend who sells me ammo at way less than retail costs. He is willing to sell it to me at a lower price because he is a friend and by doing so he is missing out on putting better bourbon in his glass. I have also stated that if I ever sell any of the ammo he sells me then I give him the extra money so he can keep his lights on. I am not in the business of selling ammo, he is. If people are too dumb to prepare or are not willing to search for realistic prices and are willing to pay high prices then I will help their addiction.

I am under no obligation to keep my supply nor sell my supply. The guy who owns the store knows full well he is raping the general consumer the moment they come through his door and yet he makes a conscious decision to oblige separating the addict from his money.
No need to be sorry- sooo, you get shells below retail cost and then you and the store owner openly admit to raping people with the prices that you charge? I get all that I need from that statement right there- any chance you want to post the name of your buddy’s business? Didn’t think so- I’ll bet neither one of you would like that to be ported. And your posts in the last 2 years about getting ammo? I looked through your entire post count (albeit very quickly and it is possible that I missed it) and didn’t see anything about that.

·
Registered
25,661 Posts
No need to be sorry- sooo, you get shells below retail cost and then you and the store owner openly admit to raping people with the prices that you charge? I get all that I need from that statement right there- any chance you want to post the name of your buddy’s business? Didn’t think so- I’ll bet neither one of you would like that to be ported. And your posts in the last 2 years about getting ammo? I looked through your entire post count (albeit very quickly and it is possible that I missed it) and didn’t see anything about that.
9+ thousand posts in a few minutes? Why do people lie?

·
Registered
724 Posts
So. It’s OK for dealers all over the country to charge $100 a flat for $55 dollar shells but it isn’t OK for a guy with a garage stall full of those same shells? -Yes, if they don’t sell inventory to sell, they lose their business and families can’t eat. The guy with shells in the garage isn’t in that position, now is he?

When the dealers have no stock? And the wholesalers don’t have any idea when, or for how much, they will have stock again?- That’s why I’m ok with retailers increasing prices (to some degree)- they need to sell shells for their business to continue.

I sold all my ammo to friends early on in this shortage. For just what I’d paid. Now there is no ammo for any price in quantity to be had. So I’m out. But in your mind it’s better that I’m out of ammo than that I charged what going price was?- I’m not saying anyone is obligated to sell shells to anyone else. Just don’t sell it for twice what you paid and then post it on a forum and act like that’s standard procedure.

How liberal of you in judging me ( or @DuckNut ) for whatever choice we made to share or keep our inventory. Downright progressive even.- I’m not judging anyone, but if you can talk on a public forum, so can I, even if it’s me telling you or anyone else that I disagree with you. That’s rather liberal of you to want to take away my freedom of speech just because I don’t agree with you, isn’t it?

·
Registered
25,661 Posts
Wish washy there Justin. It’s perfectly ok for a retailer to gouge hell out of people but not ok for someone with the foresight to have stock to charge replacement prices.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Wish washy there Justin. It’s perfectly ok for a retailer to gouge hell out of people but not ok for someone with the foresight to have stock to charge replacement prices.
Not wisby washy at all- one raises to keep his livelihood going. The other does it to make a quick buck off of fellow shooters. And some of the posters above admitted they just sold their personal stock because prices went to a level where they were making a bigger profit.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What legally constitutes price gouging?

Price gouging refers to when retailers and others take advantage of spikes in demand by charging exorbitant prices for necessities, often after a natural disaster or other state of emergency. ... In most states, price gouging is set as a violation of unfair or deceptive trade practices law

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
What legally constitutes price gouging?

Price gouging refers to when retailers and others take advantage of spikes in demand by charging exorbitant prices for necessities, often after a natural disaster or other state of emergency. ... In most states, price gouging is set as a violation of unfair or deceptive trade practices law
Gouging laws don't apply to ammo.

·
Registered
25,661 Posts
Gouging laws don't apply to ammo.
Unless some genius like Justin is the DA. Good thing his opinion doesn’t carry the weight of law. Or we’d have a Rittenhouse kangaroo court action going against everyone with foresight to stock up.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts