Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is the reason he wasnt willing to tell me the "price" over the phone. Im sure most of us would hear that on the phone and comment without thinking.
One of the guys who was out of primers did in fact buy a thousand Cheddite 209 primers, $69.95

·
Registered
230 Posts
In northwest Pa, they are going for $36.00 K "Cheddites"
Hmmmm?

I've been considering selling some of my remaining WW-209s for $75 or $100 per K. That price temps me. $36-$40 doesn't. For that price I'll leave them on my shelf for emergency back-up if there is no ammo at my next stock-up time. And I would feel bad if I sold them to a friend for $100 and it turned out he could have bought Cheddites for $36. For now I'll let them sit. I might not get as much for them if I sell later, but I didn't buy them to sell and profit.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a supplier here that thinks he can charge whatever and get away with it. He has Nobelsport primers for $80.00 per 1000, and before that had Cheddite for $70.00. I called him out about the price and he didn't care, said someone would buy them.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hmmmm?

I've been considering selling some of my remaining WW-209s for $75 or $100 per K. That price temps me. $36-$40 doesn't. For that price I'll leave them on my shelf for emergency back-up if there is no ammo at my next stock-up time. And I would feel bad if I sold them to a friend for $100 and it turned out he could have bought Cheddites for $36. For now I'll let them sit. I might not get as much for them if I sell later, but I didn't buy them to sell and profit.
Then don’t.

I understand capitalism, but screwing fellow shooters by selling Winchester 209’s for $75-$100/1000 that you bought at normal prices isn’t that. It’s being something that would get me banned from this Website by saying.

·
Registered
14,793 Posts
Maybe this is the reason he wasnt willing to tell me the "price" over the phone. Im sure most of us would hear that on the phone and comment without thinking.
One of the guys who was out of primers did in fact buy a thousand Cheddite 209 primers, $69.95
To be fair, if he's buying them from Ballistic, his COST is over $50/brick. So if you withdraw all of his business expenses out of that 20 bucks markup he's probably making about 10 bucks profit.

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
Then don’t.

I understand capitalism, but screwing fellow shooters by selling Winchester 209’s for $75-$100/1000 that you bought at normal prices isn’t that. It’s being something that would get me banned from this Website by saying.
I see it differently. I have a mountain of ammo and have been selling some here and there to the people who can't find it and are willing to pay these stupid prices.

I would never screw a fellow shooter and I do not call everyone who shoots a fellow shooter but with the general public, game on.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I see it differently. I have a mountain of ammo and have been selling some here and there to the people who can't find it and are willing to pay these stupid prices.

I would never screw a fellow shooter and I do not call everyone who shoots a fellow shooter but with the general public, game on.
Right- so it’s ok to screw someone that you don’t know but not someone you consider a “fellow shooter?” I understand retailers charging more when they get ammo/components in because they have overhead and need to keep the lights on. You and the fellow I quoted in my earlier post on this thread to my knowledge do not depend on selling ammunition or components to keep your lights on. You are just taking advantage of someone (fellow shooter or just “another shooter”) that wasn’t prepared for the shortage- I might not feel like that if he didn’t say something along the lines of he would keep the primers if he could just get $36-$40, but since people are willing to pay $75-$100/1000, he is willing to sell them. You must feel similar because you said you have been selling here and there to people willing to pay stupid prices, meaning if they were going for what you paid for them, you’d just keep them.

I guess it’s one thing to do it, also- but then to admit/justify it on a talk forum, doesn’t sit well with me. I say the same thing to people I hear talking about that at clubs, too.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The only problem is a few of the things he said automatically happen when there is a shortage- haven’t happened for the ammunition shortage, and specifically shotgun ammo that most people on this forum are concerned about. Producers have not produced more of the shotgun ammo/components that we want and no entrepreneurs have come up with alternatives. I would say it is safe to say that consumers of shotgun shells have cut back on the whole, but that still hasn’t made room in the market for us to be seeing shells/components on the shelves common- and there are a lot of small clubs out there suffering right now because of that. Not to mention, he was talking about “price gouging” laws effects- not someone taking advantage of the current situation and making a profit because they have more primers than they need, so they sell them at inflated prices AND THEN posting on a talk forum about doing it.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Component suppliers who are taking advantage of the primer shortage by jacking up their prices are enjoying higher than normal profits at the expense of alienating regular customers and damaging the reputation. In my view, it's short-sighted, unless one is getting ready to retire.
I agree if they are jacking up prices to gouge. However they still need to pay the nut, so increased pricing on what they can get and sell is to make up for lost sales on things they can't get and sell.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts