Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an unexpected and unwanted Christmas present from the ATA-a yardage reduction. After a 1,000 target review, they decided to give me a 1-yard reduction. On the enclosed information card, it says that the reduction can be refused online by going to the website homepage, click on 'about the ATA', click on 'ATA forms', then click on 'yardage reduction refusal'. I can find no such places on the website to which my computer takes me. What's up with this?

ADDENDUM:
I posted this question because I was unable to find the indicated section of the ATA site. WOW! What a Firestorm! To explain my reason for refusing the reduction, I shoot purely for the fun of joining friends on the firing line and shooting together. How I do on any day varies widely, for a multitude of reasons. That is not important to me. What is important is being at a yardage that allows me to interact with a number of people that I like that shoot the same approximate yardage I do. We try hard, do the best we can that day, and have fun. If we win a little something, GREAT! If not, GREAT! We have enjoyed each other's company and the experience. For those of you that don't shoot this way, try it-you might just enjoy it. For us, shooting trap is not ALL about money and yardage-it's about enjoying our sport. And we do!

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Then just shoot from your previous yardage. Tell shoot mgmt you refuse the reduction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got one too. One advice I remember from the Nora Ross clinic is, "take whatever the ATA wants to give you". So I will accept mine.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Why would anyone refuse ?? It is obvious you do not belong on that yardage as your avg. would reflect. There should be PRIDE in reaching and staying at said yardage. Not get lucky a few times then refuse reductions untill you make it back. JMO I have taken all they offer and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Never turn down a earned reduction. It is obvious you are shooting from a yardage that is beyond your ability or you wouldn't have received a reduction based on your scores/average.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Yardage reductions are awarded the same way yardage is earned, shooting ability. To make our system work as intended toward making better shots of our membership is the intent of yardage reductions. Up close, you learn the mental toughness and fortitude required to shoot BETTER handicap scores! Refusing that reduction won't hurt anyone except yourself and you're allowed to do just that! Take Nora Ross's advice, move forward till you've mastered the basics necessary to be a competitive shooter from those marks, not just a man standing and shooting back farther than his abilities?? JMHO

HAP

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't think the original poster was asking whether or not he or she should refuse the reduction but rather how to find the link allowing the refusal. Shooting is about having fun (for most of us). If the original poster is having fun and wants to refuse the yardage reduction, that is his or her choice. Refusal is an option within the rules for a reason.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have not, nor will I ever except the reduction. If you think your scores will improve at a closer yardage, it is not going to happen. I have shot (practice) from shorter as will as longer yardages, and my scores are nearly the same, and maybe better from the longer yardage.

Just my 3 cents worth.

Norman

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Following Shawn McNeil's link will get you there, or you can do it the old way and just check the proper box on the form and mail it back or I suppose you could call the office on the phone and do it that way. Anyway, no need in letting it spoil your Christmas. MERRY CHRISTMAS ;-)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Prairieviper,

I must say your post is correct. My foot is in my mouth. lol

MX2G,

You are a reduction refuser , by your comment. Earn your yardage !!!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I understand both sides...accepting the reduction makes you competitive again (at least in theory). Refusing reduction allows you to shoot on squads with friends at the yardage you're accustomed to.

I don't let my ego get in the way...I'll shoot where they tell me...but I will miss shooting with one of my buddies now. I'll just have to earn my way back there again.

Hey, by the time I get to the back fence, I'll probably have earned 86 yards with all the yoyo ing I've done.

Regards,

Chip

·
Vendor
19,397 Posts
I did earn my yardage. That is the point! Butt out or put up your ATA number. All you "holier-than-thou" reduction guys just want to go "nah-nah, na-na-nah". Put up you damn ATA number other wise quit telling guys what to do.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I agree with Jack. When the reduction police start paying for my targets then I might, might mind you take a reduction if it is offered. Meanwhile, BUTT OUT.

I shoot to try and beat the game not to beat other shooters. If you beat the game you will accomplish the other. To do that you don't yo-yo back and forth, you stay there and work harder. I don't want anything forced on me for my own good.

I have no problem with anyone taking reductions, it is their right. Just as it is my right to shoot the game as I see fit. We have enough mandatory crap in our everyday lives. We don't need it in our recreation too.

Ken

·
Registered
14,688 Posts
I agree with both Hap and Jack. It depends what you expect out of the sport.

A reduction can perhaps make you more competitive again, but you'll not be shooting the yardage you wish to master, unless you punch up.

On the other hand if you want to increase your chance for trophies or winning money, take the reduction.

However, If you have been offered a reduction, and don't take it, please don't complain to us how 27 yarders or target managers win all the events.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I'm with Setterman I guess. I don't give a rats behind where you shoot from. Just don't complain about the system, what Big Dogs average from their yardage or where other shooters are shooting from if you refused your reductions. I've taken reductions and refused them too. With my skill level it wouldn't hurt to mark me a spot on top of the house to shoot from.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A guy asks for helping finding a link on the ATA website, the second post resolves his request, and the next 18 posts are people giving their opinion about why he or anyone else should or should not accept a yardage reduction.....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts