Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old upright freezer - and plenty of space.
I'm thinking of fitting it with some gun rack barrel racks.
It's an airtight freezer and I will add a hasp and padlock.
There are no odors that I can detect.

Are there things I should consider before moving ahead with the project?
barrel rack.jpg

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Get some type of lock that doesn't show-----keep it in the kitchen---or better yet the garage, marked worms & catfish bait, that way nobody will even "try" to open it.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Here is what I would do , bypass the door switch for the lightbulb so it's on all the time. A low wattage light bulb, 15,25 watt etc. Drill a couple of holes in the top of the refrigerator. Put the ammo on the doors.
Jim

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Set the fridge out in the yard a shoot holes in it from the porch. You will have to rotate it until you get all 4 sides vented. This can double as a smoker and no worries about it being air tight. The one we had was a great smoker but we never tried keeping guns in it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I would go for it ,the hasp and padlock not so much and would use an other lock . I used to have a steel cabinet in a tall , 6 ft. white laundry cabinet . All that was bolted together to the wall and floor ,with a rubber mat between the floor and the cabinet

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think it kinda depends on what level of security you're going for.

If it's to keep unauthorized family away from the firearms (perhaps grandchildren, nieces, nephews, etc.) it could work out okay.
On the other hand, I think a burglar would have that thing open in a matter of minutes. Even if they worked on it for awhile and then gave up it will have been tipped over and rolled around while your expensive stuff bounces around inside.

You also would have no fire protection.

·
Registered
541 Posts
As one who used to deliver appliances for many years the door is designed to come off. I’ll have the door off that freezer in 30 seconds for you using nothing but a pry bar. As stated above it’s not a gun safe it would be a gun cabinet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Go to a vinyl print shop and have them make you a false interior door panel with a full freezer printed on it, then you won't even need to install a hasp and padlock.

Whattt?...It sounds as good as some of the other ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE.

Thanks for the great input.
The freezer is at my office building (in the garage). I thought about putting it in my locked office, that's in our locked and alarmed building - security probably isn't a problem. It's big and would be a nuisance. Plus, the comments here - and some additional research - clarify that a sealed environment like that is not the best place to store my trap guns.

Instead, I'll be searching for a closed gun cabinet that will live in my locked office, etc. There seem to be plenty of them out there.

The freezer will remain in our garage area and will be used to store ammo and cleaning gun cleaning equipment.

Again, thanks for all of the positive input.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have an old upright freezer - and plenty of space.
I'm thinking of fitting it with some gun rack barrel racks.
It's an airtight freezer and I will add a hasp and padlock.
There are no odors that I can detect.

Are there things I should consider before moving ahead with the project?
View attachment 1680495
Most of the gun safes on the market only keep the honest people honest and kids away from harm. The fridge will do both. I don't have an alarm on my safes, I have it on my house. You can buy a pillow size absorbent from Sportsman. I live in Nevada and have one, but we really don't have much rust problem @15% humidity.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts