Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to the Board,

A shooter at my club was showing around a "new" (for him) Beretta (now apparently discontinued), but he got away before I had a chance to quiz him.

It was a single-barrel trap that breaks open as you would expect. But, with a shell in the chamber and the action closed, there is a place to put a second loaded shell on the right side. Apparently, when you shoot the first shell, the empty is kicked out of the bottom of the action and the 2nd shell is loaded - allowing for a quick second shot. It was an interesting gun that takes interchangeable choke tubes.

He was telling folks that the gun was designed for use shooting trap in Europe, where "regular" semi-autos are not permitted.

Does anyone have the Beretta model name or number for this gun?

Apologies if this gun has been discussed here before.

TIA,

Tom

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Unfortunately the gun did not live up to its advertising. It was a commercial flop and mechanical disaster. They are discontinued but you can occassionally find one in the used market.

·
Registered
31,625 Posts
We have had many past discussion about them here. They are indeed unique but did not survive the design flaws not pursued and the fickleness of trapshooters. New things only come along with someone does or makes something outside the norm, but nobody is receptive to new ideas anymore. You can find past threads by doing a search on the UGB Xcel 25

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
What is posted above is correct and I think some Guns work fine and others are ??? I used to shot with a Guy and he had 2 of them ,one was constandly broken and I belive Beretta finaly , either bought it back from him or gave him a very good credit to get something else from them . The other one was a target eating machine and worked absolutely great ,we all used it and was fun to shoot . Just in the last 4 weeks somebody at the G C got one for less then $ 1000.00 ,so far it's working .

·
Registered
139 Posts
The concept is great, almost pulled the trigger on one but it seems like the ones with issues are the ones that go up for sale and people hoard properly functioning examples (I dont blame them)....not one I would buy unless I could test it first.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Shot with a gentleman at one of the New England shoots and it was new to him. That was the first one I saw as I had heard about them and thought it was pretty cool until it kept giving him problems on our first 25 and he excused himself to get his back up gun to finish. I still thought it was cool if it just worked!

·
Registered
31,625 Posts
I still have mine, I use it for doubles only. There are two problems I have experienced with it. I had one when the bolt flew out of the gun when I opened it, which was probably due to my assembling it incorrectly. I lost the little rubber buffer that sits between the firing pin and the bolt. It took a month to get replacement.

The other problem is it will not function correctly unless I use factory shells, no less than 2-3/4 dram, 1-1/8 oz loads. Some 2-3/4 dram one oz factory’s are not heavy enough. I have never shot a 24 dram international load like they do in Europe for bunker, so I don’t know if they will work in the gun or not. I still get some weird looks when I walk up to the line for doubles with a break open single barrel.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The gun was made for 24 gram International loads as it was designed for Bunker shooters to get around a rule, which I think was to do with the ban on Semi Automatic guns for Bunker shooting. I think guns must be able to break open.
I can't remember the exact advertising when the gun was first intoduced. I did get to shoot a demo gun when they were first introduced as I happened to be shooting at a Bunker when Beretta had brought a couple of them up for shooters to try. It seemed to work well, but I only shot 10 shells through it.
Devonian.

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
What is posted above is correct and I think some Guns work fine and others are ??? I used to shot with a Guy and he had 2 of them ,one was constandly broken and I belive Beretta finaly , either bought it back from him or gave him a very good credit to get something else from them . The other one was a target eating machine and worked absolutely great ,we all used it and was fun to shoot . Just in the last 4 weeks somebody at the G C got one for less then $ 1000.00 ,so far it's working .
The concept is great, almost pulled the trigger on one but it seems like the ones with issues are the ones that go up for sale and people hoard properly functioning examples (I dont blame them)....not one I would buy unless I could test it first.
So, where is the best place to get load info for shotshell loading? As in rifle no load works the same for a particular rifle, so I always work up from a starting load and use a chronograph.
I was always told that loading for shotgun to stick to published recipes, not go over or under load recommendations. Interesting to see Lyman's Blue Dot info trends to be different from Alliant's on line data.
Are you sure it was the gun in the pic or was it a Browning Recoiless?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts