Trapshooters Forum banner

Unsung Heroes

1472 Views 11 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  trapwife
Recently, I was sitting in McKnight's shop here in Tucson waiting my turn. Two different shooters came in and said their shotguns had issues during their round and could he look at it so they didn't have to pull from the event . Karl stopped what he was working on and he looked to see if he could get them back on track.

I've had this happen to me . I was certainly glad there was a smith at the event so my weekend wasn't ruined. Have you ever seen an article in any of the clay shooting publications highlighting the traveling gunsmiths in this country ? Without them , many of us would be done and on our way home. I don't know how many travel to events anymore, but they sure are a benefit to shooters. Maybe it's time to give these unsung heroes a little acknowledgement.

If you know of any traveling gunsmiths, post their names here and give them a little acknowledgement for contributing to our sport. If enough interest is generated in this post, I'll do a little more research and contact the publications about doing an article or series of articles highlighting the smiths of our sport.

Moderators: I know this is a gunsmith comment, but I felt it was more of a shooting related thread because without them we wouldn't be shooting.

Lou
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6,264 Posts
I remember watching Pat Laib work magic on guns at the MN State Shoot some (almost 40!) years back. I do not know how far and wide he ranges to scheduled shoots, but I'm sure he brings some tools with when he hits the club. I definitely appreciate his work, I learned a lot just watching him work in between rounds.

· Registered
8,311 Posts
As you have stated, these guys deserve way more praise and recognition that they ever receive.

Through the decades several have impressed me at the countless hours they work at shoots trying to get guns repaired or desires fulfilled for shooters to take the line the following morning.

The one that really stands out for countless hours and no sleep is Phil Crenwelge. Phil has helped me out many times along with alot of folks. He goes for days at larger shoots with virtually no sleep. His extensive knowledge of firearms is amazing (not just shotguns).

· Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Second for Philip's!
He helped me in a pinch and had be back on the line without holding up the squad, good thing our bank was right in front of his trailer.
Haven't seen him online for a while but sure he is busy as can be, guess that's what happens since he is a top notch smith

· Registered
233 Posts
I was working at a large youth shoot. I woke up at about 130 AM and decided to walk 30 yards to the bathrooms. There was a light on in Karl Hampel’s trailer. As he’d been a Senior Veteran for a long time, I thought to check on him. He was sitting at his workbench with a file in his hand. He said “ Oh, hi, one of the kids needed a sear and I didn’t have one so I’m just about done making one. I’ll have it installed in about 20 minutes so he can shoot first thing in the morning.”
The traveling gunsmiths are really important!

· Registered
6,624 Posts
Tom Larkin, Thestockshop

Doug Hubbert, beaker100 here

Merlyntrap

Doug Grey

Bill Simons

Karl McKnight

All of whom I am friends with

Tony DeSomonie(?)

Phillip

Don Rackley

I met at trap shoots where they have kept competitors on the line by fixing their shotguns or loaning out shotguns.

And yes they are unsung heroes in what they do for the shooters.

Any traveling gunsmith that works at any shooting event is a hero.

Al

· Premium Member
21,629 Posts
Don Rackley is a personal friend of mine. If you need Perrazi work done, he is very good. He carries all of his tools and parts with him to shoots and is easy to get along with.

· Registered
4,024 Posts
Over many years Patrick McCarthy (and Kim) set up their gun store (Dawson Enterprises) at the Grand and Cardinal Center. There was always a counter dedicated to gun smithing.
When he is out on the road, trying to shoot because that’s what he likes to do, I’ve seen him almost/miss his squad because he was elbow deep in someone’s gun.
I’m proud to call him a friend. He is one of the good guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.