Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot two rounds by myself yesterday, and noticed after shooting the second round my forearm was very warm. The latch release in particular. Because I was shooting alone I was shooting faster than normal. It was almost to hot to hold. Any other unsingle shooters experience this?

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
My Perazzi MX15 L fore end latch gets REAL hot during extended shooting in hot days. I cut the fingers off a cheap left handed golf glove to keep the latch from touching my hand. Regards, Ed

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Dale, Get a golf glove at Dick's for your left hand, it will cure the problem. In warm weather the forearm latch gets very hot! Hope you shot well!! Steve

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, DT-11. I'm assuming all unsingles would do this though. Maybe I'm wrong...

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
My CG does the same thing particularly if I'm reloading with a single base powder.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I had the same experience with my doubles gun (Browning Plus). The bottom barrel did a wonderful job of heating up the hardware in the forend. I tried insulating the outside metal, but of course, that was lucky to last a round. It finally dawned on me to try insulating the INSIDE of the forend. I got me a roll of 3M double-side foam poster tape. With an X-acto knife, I built/carved a piece of tape that would cover the majority of the metal (see pic). If it needed to be able to move, I cut slots in the foam (see latch). The results were nothing short of amazing. No heat, no gloves, no ugly tape, AND the piece is held in place by the barrel when assembled. Mines been there 3 years and looks "new". Make sure the metal in the forend is clean and oil free before you apply the foam tape, and I think you'll be happy. Good Luck.

P.S. Leave the tape covering in place on the upper surface. Remove only the foam tape cover that you're going to stick on the forend metal.

Forend 002 -1.jpg

Bob Falfa

·
Krieghoff K80
2,482 Posts
Exactly why I liked the forend design on an old KX 5 I use to have. Latching button up top meant no mid forend hardware to overheat. Not sure why this concept isn't more widespread.

wm_8575752.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Perazzi TM platform uses the end button too. Like your Kgun its a top single and there's lots of room in the forend for the button.

Hard to do on an O/U platform that uses a bottom barrel.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I have had my buddy Phil Simms make me ProSoft stocks with a new forend on three guns. He always recesses the forend metal about a 1/4 inch on the new forend without being told to do so, to minimize the heat transfer.

Smart man.

Tom

·
Registered
200 Posts
My wife has the problem with her Beretta 682 unsingle. We put foan weatherstriping on the latch. I will have to try Bob's internal fix.

thanks,
chet h

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
P.S. Leave the tape covering in place on the upper surface. Remove only the foam tape cover that you're going to stick on the forend metal.
I'm sure this will certainly saves somebody's day. :)

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I shot doubles this weekend in 90 degree heat on a 5 man squad. My forend and barrels on my MX8 were so hot I had to carry the gun back to the truck holding it by the butt stock. I suspect it's the Red Dot powder causing the problem so I may try using no powder next time. I feel your pain and think gloves are the best answer for existing guns that get hot from the barrels and forend metal. So far the "Michael Jackson" look leaves me just tolerating the heat. I wrap a rag around the barrels to break the gun down. I've felt the BURN, no political pun intended.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My K80 gets really hot, I learned to move my hand back on the forearm. It took care of the heat and my swing. Worked for me

·
Registered
146 Posts
I told the older guy next to me a state that the forend was hot... He said cuz there was a fire in that barrel just a minute ago. I guess I better get use to it

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Does not help that the forearm wood is wrapped around the barrel, and insulating the barrel in that area. Plus the wood is thin on an un-single, so the heat is closer to your hand, and the forearm iron. Gloves, or shoot a top single in the summer. Winter it is nice for the un-single. I started shooting trap with gloves on, just for keeping my bare hands off the gun while sweating in the summer. It feel odd without them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts