Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used a UCB for years and had OK results. For some reason I went back to the standard bar with bushings and found that I had somewhat more consistent results. The downside is that you either have to live with drops that the bushing provides (not always what you want) or you have to "adjust" your bushings with a Dremel Tool or file and/or aluminum tape (nail polish can work too) to get what you want.

For my standard loads (say 18 gr of Titewad) I adjust a bushing and then tape it in a plastic ziplock bag to the side of the jug for the next time. I have not noticed a significant variation in drop weights from batch to batch of powder but, then, I typically buy several jugs of powders I use a lot of at once so they are all in the same batch, hence batch changes are relatively infrequent.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the universal , there is a learning curve , use a scale and weigh often.
I weigh every 50 rounds , I have more problems with fine powders
I shoot a lot of doubles for practice.
I like one once of 8,s loaded in a wi Chester AA hull with 17 grains of red dot. Seems to work best for me on my first shot. If I use a #30 mec bushing I get about 16.5 grains
Ans if I use a 31 bushing I get about
17.5 grains. That why I tried this bar
And so far it's been pretty consistent at 17 grains. I check it about twice a box

·
Registered
Ljutic
73 Posts
I have all of the above setups and all have their plus and minis I probably a thousand bars of various kinds and sizes that I have collected since 1974 Mec, Herter's, universal, homemade Various bushings and many hand filed out that just look terrible, buy another bushing or bar instead of grinding on them.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
I had the adjustable bar once. Got rid of it. Found it was easier for me to just use the bar and bushings. No dialing and checking. I check first loads with each new batch of powder anyway. I believe in the KISS method whenever I can use it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been using an adjustable charge bar for about a year and have had no problems. I liked it so much I wanted to get one for my brother but can't find one in stock.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have used the UCB for over 25 years and love it. I do keep a couple of the older charge bars with bushings epoxied in for some of my most used loads. One of the main reasons I switched was that the powder bushing charge weights were not very accurate.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Link to double bushing bar on EBay:

The seller makes them for single stage and progressive. Good guy to deal with.

jk
This is a DUAL MEC BUSHING BAR, saw this on ebay, long time ago.
I have a UCB and decided to try this bar. I like it a lot. The certainty of dual bushing is reassuring that the UCB wont change during loading.
I was surprised that there were MEC bushings large enough for SHOT. The bar just plain works well.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have all of the above setups and all have their plus and minis I probably a thousand bars of various kinds and sizes that I have collected since 1974 Mec, Herter's, universal, homemade Various bushings and many hand filed out that just look terrible, buy another bushing or bar instead of grinding on them.
Any for the Redding 16 / 32, or Savage 630 ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have both, but I do prefer the UCB. But like the man said, each to his own.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts