Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a MEC 8567 Grabber w/ a universal charge bar. This evening the roller cam (the one that pushes the charge bar) bent. I was reloading copper plated shot, I had to actually push the bar over to get a full charge of powder. Has anyone else had this? Is there a better solution than the actuator arm that comes with the universal charge bar?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a MEC 8567 Grabber w/ a universal charge bar. This evening the roller cam (the one that pushes the charge bar) bent. I was reloading copper plated shot, I had to actually push the bar over to get a full charge of powder. Has anyone else had this? Is there a better solution than the actuator arm that comes with the universal charge bar?
I took it apart - nothing jammed. However, as I dropped test weights, I was definitely chopping up some of the shot.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have had the problem of both the zinc and rubber inserts becoming grooved or worn over time. Eventually the steel tray the bar rides in had to be replaced as well, and now the second tray is starting to become grooved. I talked to the company making the bar and they seemed unaware of any problem. I have loaded mostly 7 1/2 and smaller shot.

·
Registered
707 Posts
All I know is my first Mec had a universal. I will never have another one, a real pain in the rear portion of the body.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Initially with the zinc insert the operation was erratic. Decided with all the talent and experience at MEC they went to a rubber like insert on the shot side of their bars I would too. The zinc also did not fit flush and I had to lap them down a bit.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I personally do not understand why so many people have problems with the Universal Charge Bar and dislike it so. I own 3 bars, one on my 9000E and one on my 9000g. The other one is in a drawer. I've loaded thousands of shells and have never had a problem with any of them. I switched years ago because I had my fill of bushings and the b.s that goes with them. It doesn't matter what bar but if your crushing lead remove the bar and find out why. Number one culprit is the rubber insert. Suggestion to all: Whenever you feel energetic remove the charge bar from the machine and clean thoroughly using a small block of wood with fine sandpaper. You would be surprised how much crap comes off and this process will allow the bar to move more freely especially on the return trip. Bob

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I could not go back to a non-adjustable charge bar. No way. If you want 17.5 grains of powder to drop, no problem. Adjust it accordingly.

The biggest gig for me is, the shot drop. A "fixed" 1 1/8 gives you how many grains of 7.5 shot? Not enough, most likely. How many grains of 8 shot?
How many grains of 8.5 shot? And all of that with what brand of shot? The variations are all over the board, accordingly.

An adjustable bar can give you exactly what you want. A fixed bar cannot.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Agreed with the shot drops on different sizes of shot- without an adjustable charge bar, you don't know what you are getting. I would imagine most people don't weigh their shot charges, otherwise the adjustable charge bars would be more popular!

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I tried using the adjustable charge bars on my MEC progressive loaders but gave up due to the tinkering required and inaccuracies.found in trying to get the powder and shot drops set. The regular charge bars with the Teflon inserts and powder bushings were sufficiently accurate. Any adjustments were easily made with a rat-tail file as necessary. Sold the adjustable bars to reloaders who have more patience than I do and like to tinker. Happy New Year....Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really like the universal, but I've started getting inconsistent results. I'm fairly new to reloading - so I'm still learning. BIGGEST thing I've learned from my question is in regards to the rubber insert. It might be worth it. However, I went ahead and bought fixed charge bars and some bushings to go with it.

My problem with the universal charge bar is the failure of the roller arm that pushes the charge bar. It's a poor design and poor components which are failing on me. The MEC roller arm is much designed much better and is made of hard steel, the universal one is not.

Thanks all for your input. I'm going to keep on reloading!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Have had the same universal bar in the same 9000G for 17 years and have not had any trouble with either one. Many thousands of loads run thru this machine. Added another 9000G about a year ago (so my son could help out since he likes to burn shells now) and the first thing I did was add the universal bar and high capacity primer feed. Have never found a reason to change to anything different.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts