Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave away about 3 pounds of old formula Unique powder years ago because it was filthy. Now I am looking at loading some high velocity 1-1/8 oz 12 ga loads for a bird hunt. Looking at the Alliant guide; to get to 1300 fps my only options are Unique, Herco, or Green Dot. They claim the new formula Unique if 50% cleaner burning. Does anyone have any experience with these powders? What is the lesser of three evils? Using an auto loader so i want the cleanest burning option.

·
Premium Member
5,619 Posts
If clean burning is what you are after, use the fastest burning powder of the 3 that will give you pressures of ~10.5K psi.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Shot a very fast (about 1350 ) old International trap load that was in a 1990 era Hercules Powder manual. Was a 1oz load featuring Unique. Shot great in everything including autoloaders and patterned very well. Was the only load that I shot for 20 years mostly for sporting clays. Won't publish the powder charge because it is not even listed anymore but can enthusiastically recommend Unique. When pressures get higher it burns a bit cleaner. I am sure the new Unique would be even better than my old loads. Good luck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Green Dot is clean burning especially if you are pushing near maximum pressures to get very fast loads. It seems to be more available and somewhat cheaper in price locally.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would have gladly taken your old Unique. "Clean" is way over rated in my opinion. That said, I'd recommend Green Dot.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I load Herco in a sts hull, RXP wad. Win 209 primer in a 1310 fps load for crows. Works fantastic and mild to shoot in my super mag. Folds em up.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
What Tim said..... I am working out of a 4lb. cardboard keg of Unique that I bought VERY cheap several years ago. I do not think it was really that much cleaner than the "newer" Unique.
Speed is overrated, 1200 to 1250 is fast enough for anything I do loading Unique in the Fed. papers.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What Tim said..... I am working out of a 4lb. cardboard keg of Unique that I bought VERY cheap several years ago. I do not think it was really that much cleaner than the "newer" Unique.
Speed is overrated, 1200 to 1250 is fast enough for anything I do loading Unique in the Fed. papers.
Unbelievable shell with Unique and 25 gr of powder in a federal paper with a red aa wad and 1 1/4 shot of #6 will flat out do the job.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I m thinking Unique for some 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz hunting loads and 1200-1250 fps is pretty versatile. If a guy wants a little more umph going to one size larger shot and keeping velocity same is probably smart way to go. Obviously a choke change might be needed depending on expectations/ranges.

·
Registered
16,683 Posts
1969 Lyman Shotshell Handbook, first edition{

Winchester CF hull
Federals 209 primer
Rem Power Piston #W29928
35.0 gr. SR4756
1&1/8 oz of HARD #6 shot
9.200 LUP
1430 FPS

We used this one in the duck marsh for a long time. Mallards 50 yards up would crumple and fall straight down.

HM

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kind of an off 90* thing to remember when considering these three powders, Unique can be used in any metallic cartridge loading on the planet. Green Dot and Herco are pretty limited in their cross applications, and by implication, are less useful if one is a multi platform handloader. More desirable as trade fodder too.

G.D. does leave a bit less grime though, doesn't it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I gave away about 3 pounds of old formula Unique powder years ago because it was filthy. Now I am looking at loading some high velocity 1-1/8 oz 12 ga loads for a bird hunt. Looking at the Alliant guide; to get to 1300 fps my only options are Unique, Herco, or Green Dot. They claim the new formula Unique if 50% cleaner burning. Does anyone have any experience with these powders? What is the lesser of three evils? Using an auto loader so i want the cleanest burning option.
Green Dot IMHO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts