Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the powder shortage we’re all experiencing, I’m down to 4-5 lbs of unique. I looked at the loading data and besides it takes a bunch of powder and nothing for 1145 recipes. Looks like 1200 FPS or higher. Has anyone had good results with this ? I’m a Red Dot and Green Dot guy. Years ago I used to load a lot of unique in 20 gauge shells. Thanks Ed

· Registered
6,252 Posts
I was loading a handicap shell with 21 gr. of Unique, Win. 209, WAA-12 wad, and 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's. It was about 1225. Someone gave me 3# of it a while back, and that would have lasted me the rest of my life for pistol.

· Registered
6,148 Posts
Unique is a better powder for 12 gauge "field" loads than "clay target" loads. In fact, I use it a lot for just that.

I used it for decades while competing in skeet in the 20 and 28 gauge events, and liked it very much, but IMO, there are much better powders for clay targets using a 12 gauge.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

· Registered
129 Posts
Max Trap, Unique is a good powder for 20 and 28 gauge, handgun, rifle reduced loading. For 12 gauge it's good for heavier field loads, heavy 1 1/8 and 1 1/4. Given the powder charges, you will certainly notice noise and recoil levels. With the shortages situation we're all making adjustments, but do buy a more suitable powder (clays, 700X, red dot, etc.) as soon as you're able. (personally, I wouldn't want to develop a flinch)

· Registered
2,393 Posts
Max, are you loading 1 1/8 oz. loads? Maybe try trimming a half a grain off and see how that works. Might be dirty as it won't be burning at a high pressure or you could see some variation in the loads. Might be worth a try if you don't have any other powder.

Where are you located? Like someone else said perhaps someone is close enough by that has some powder that would be happy to trade with you.

· Registered
2,248 Posts
With the powder shortage we’re all experiencing, I’m down to 4-5 lbs of unique. I looked at the loading data and besides it takes a bunch of powder and nothing for 1145 recipes. Looks like 1200 FPS or higher. Has anyone had good results with this ? I’m a Red Dot and Green Dot guy. Years ago I used to load a lot of unique in 20 gauge shells. Thanks Ed
Unique is my go to powder for 20,28, and 16 ga. loads

· Registered
3,218 Posts
I also like Unique better for pistol loads and in the 16, 20 or 28 gauge. But, in the Fed. paper it works well with my small stash of the old 12C1 wads at 1200 fps.
The stack height with Unique makes a better crimp with the 12C1 wad.
But at reduced loads / velocities in the 12 gauge the inside of your barrel looks like you have been burning soft coal for gun powder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.