Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently able to get my hands on a 1 lb. container of unique, I am loading 3/4 oz loads in 20 gauge winchester AA hulls with cheddite primers and claybuster wads. I shot 50 rounds of my reloads through it this weekend and was surprised as to how dirty my tubes were, probably twice as dirty as factory AA's.
does anyone else use this powder and have the same results?
Thank you in advance for your input.. Joe

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Can't really say that I thought it was that much dirtier than anything else, moderate recoil. When I have tried it I liked a hotter primer ie Fed. or CCI 209M. An oily patch down\up the bbl did the trick for me. Ross Puls

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Depends on how much powder you are using. You might be getting an incomplete powder burn from too low a pressure. Recipes say 14-16 grains, and it doesn't push the PSI limits at all. Mark

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Unique is one of my favorite powders of all time. If using in a 20 gauge load with 7/8 oz and around 15.5 grains of Unique. Great hunting and skeet load.

Use around 22 - 23 grains for one of the best 27 yard loads ever.

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
In light loads like your 3/4 ounce 20 gauge loads, you could switch to a slightly faster Alliant powder from the same era, like Green Dot. You could also select one of the newer offerings. I will not switch to the newer powders until they stop making the old stuff. I've been using Unique since the sixties.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am running 14.4 grains of powder, so I should be within the limits to get complete burn and was suspect it might be the cheddite primers, I was able to find some winchester 209's today, so I am going to load some of those up and see if I get cleaner results.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I run 15.6 grains of Unique with Remington hulls, CB1075-20 wads, and a variety of medium primers. My load still runs a little dirty at around 1200 fps. Try bumping your powder up a bit. Mark

·
Registered
742 Posts
I drop 13.7-14.0 beneath 7/8 oz and to my way of thinking it always lights off just fine and is no dirtier than any other decent powder. I don't know if it matters that much if you clean your gun after use.

Oh, wait, I've used 800X. that's dirty. Like you can tilt your barrel and pour the residue out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your input mark, I know the recipe calls out for 15.4 grains, where I have been a full grain below that I didn't think that it would affect the burn rate or make it dirtier. I will try bumping it up a bit and see if that makes a difference. Joe

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I've always had better results with Unique using Fed 209A seems to burn cleaner. The current Unique burns cleaner than the old Hercules blend. Along with Red Dot Unique is one all time great powders. Try a Fed 209A and see if you get better results.

Surfer

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I haven't used Unique in shotguns but did in handguns back in the 1970s. I recently read many comments on other Internet forums about problems getting uniform powder drops with it.

Ed

·
Registered
175 Posts
Been using this powder for years 1960 bo be axact. never though it was dirty
no more than green dot. check loads once in a while pretty much the same

riggs

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just upped my drops to 15 grains and switched to win 209 primers, will test on friday with 2 boxes I loaded and report how it burns!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hulls must be in decent condition, as a good crimp will help maintain sufficient pressure for a complete burn. Unique is a great old powder, not as clean burning as some others but IMHO very reliable and can be used in many gauge/caliber recipes. Pap

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tested different loads today and found that upping my powder drops to the 15 grain range and changing the primer, my loads were just as dirty if not slightly dirtier than my lighter loads running about 13.8 grains with cheddite primers. I think I will just stick to the lighter loads and do thorough cleanings till the unique is gone and switch to green dot. thank you everyone for the input

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Changing from a Chedite to a Winchester primer is no change at all. A Federal 209A or a CCI mag. primer would be the change we are talking about. HMB

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the only primers on the shelves in my area is rio primers at sportsmans warehouse, which I will not use. Other than that there are no primers to be found so I can't just go buy different primers to try, but thank you for the input.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts