Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how much vertical dimension variation there is in shooters, looking straight ahead, from under their cheekbone to the center of their eye pupil. This can be checked, roughly, by looking in a mirror and measuring it with a tape measure while holding your thumb under your cheekbone. Mine is roughly 1 5/8 inches (1.625 inches).
This might not seem much of a concern but it has a lot to do with picking up someone else's shotgun and being able to shoot it like they do (assuming they shoot it well) unless your distance is not too far off from theirs. Fred Etchen's old paperback book notes that this vertical eye pupil center to under cheekbone distance runs from 1 3/8 to 1 3/4 inches with most people being in the range of 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 inches. The 3/8 inch "delta" maximum dimensional variation he notes has a rather substantial affect on moving a shot pattern center core at normal trap bird break distances. At trap distances the change appears on the plus side of 10 inches.
Not that Fred was in error but I'm wondering if anyone out there (considering only this dimensional aspect and ignoring other obvious factors like fullness of face, etc.) is actually at either of his noted extremes of 1 3/8 or 1 3/4 inch. What say you guys?

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
You said it, there are too many other "dimensional aspects" to make this worth your time to consider. A guy once asked me a question about Leo, "Where did he pull the trigger in his breathing cycle?" This guy was a rifle shooter who wanted to shoot trap. I tried (without laughing) to explain that in shotgun sports, breathing is necessary to keep going, but it is such a small factor, he needed to focus on many other fundamentals first.
Your vision is important, you can't hit what you don't see.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'm wondering how much vertical dimension variation there is in shooters, looking straight ahead, from under their cheekbone to the center of their eye pupil. This can be checked, roughly, by looking in a mirror and measuring it with a tape measure while holding your thumb under your cheekbone. Mine is roughly 1 5/8 inches (1.625 inches).
This might not seem much of a concern but it has a lot to do with picking up someone else's shotgun and being able to shoot it like they do (assuming they shoot it well) unless your distance is not too far off from theirs. Fred Etchen's old paperback book notes that this vertical eye pupil center to under cheekbone distance runs from 1 3/8 to 1 3/4 inches with most people being in the range of 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 inches. The 3/8 inch "delta" maximum dimensional variation he notes has a rather substantial affect on moving a shot pattern center core at normal trap bird break distances. At trap distances the change appears on the plus side of 10 inches.
Not that Fred was in error but I'm wondering if anyone out there (considering only this dimensional aspect and ignoring other obvious factors like fullness of face, etc.) is actually at either of his noted extremes of 1 3/8 or 1 3/4 inch. What say you guys?
I have a very high cheek bone and whenever someone looks down my gun they say wow that's way to high for me.

jack mc

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Jack Mc., hardly anyone can shoot my guns either, cheekbone is high, comb is too high for most. It would shoot way too high for them having lower cheekbones. When I pick up others guns, I'm normally looking into the back of the receiver!

HAP

This little tid-bit of information is valuable to only one person, those wanting to order a new stock or having one made. Without that knowledge, the comb may be way too high or way too low. Merely another vital aspect of a fitted stock to an individual!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts