Trapshooters Forum banner

Uncheckered Gun Stocks

2807 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  chiefjon
A friend of mine recently had a custom stock made with no checkering. It really changed the traditional look of the gun. My friend shoots with gloves so handling is not a problem. He also has the option of adding checkering down the road and changing the look and feel.The flow of the stock's grain pattern was beautiful!Anybody else shooting a trap gun with no checkering? Thanks.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,738 Posts
last weekend, I got fitted for a 20 gauge gun and handled a friend's sporting gun that just had come into the shop after being built by Perazzi. He had no checkering on his gun at all. It was a bit weird handling the gun with no checkering, but the grain really stood out. However in the end, I went with checkering...I think it helps with getting a good grip on the gun, at least for me. I wear gloves as well.

· Registered
69 Posts
I have a custom remington 1100 that I shoot skeet with sometimes. It is a monte carlo stock and I opted for no checkering. The checkering hurts my hands after a couple of hundred rounds. I do not wear gloves. I like it very much.

· Registered
7,463 Posts
Event Plant Vacation Grandparent Flower

My Ljutic 73 has had this uncheckered stock and forend on it since I restocked it in '92....couldn't afford to get it checkered then and just never got around to getting it done...I use a glove on my trigger hand so my grip is very consistent....

· Registered
7,463 Posts
Thanks Dick....got lucky when I bought the Browning and got to choose the best wood the dealer had in his selection and the wood on the 73 came from Ernie Paulson in Chinook, Montana....best deals on the best gun wood back in the day (20 years ago)

· Registered
10,122 Posts
I always found that I needed a stock with checkering especially if it rained while shooting. Otherwise, I found that the gun felt slippery. I felt more in control of the gun in inclement conditions with checkering.
Steve Balistreri

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.