Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am about to be in uncharted territory...for me anyway.
I am still working on buying a much more suited trap gun and am shooting a 26" barrel field gun. Have only ever ahot from the 16yd line. Now, the club I shoot at has some 10 bird challenges that are shot from the 27yd line. I know with the short barrels even with a Full choke, I'm outgunned..and lack the experience of having been there before. I'm thinking about using my 30" F choke barrel M12 just to gain some ground here. What shells should I use? Been mostly shooting Gun Clubs and AA's with 1 1/8 oz #8 shot.
Do In need a different shell for the 27yd games at the club?
Giving in to peer pressure here lol

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
A few commonly held misconceptions dispelled here.

Ballistically, there's not much difference between a 26" barrel and a 30" barrel , assuming all else (choke constriction, mostly) is the same. A smidge more velocity, but not enough to measure.

Barrel length is a personal preference thing.

Most folks like the longer barrel because of the perceived longer sighting plane, and / or because the swing a little more smooth since there is more weight, albeit a small amount, out there where your hand is.

The 30" full choke Model 12 is a good choice, though.

For 27 yard, use premium shells, STS or AA, and 1-1/8 ounces of 7-1/2 at 1200 fps should be good. Gun Clubs have soft shot and don't pattern as well as STS or AA's.

You might even choose the handicap shells at 1250 fps. But they'll have heavier recoil.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Definitely use a Premium shell 7&1/2 shot.

From 27 yards try holding a slightly lower gun.
Make a smooth but aggressive move to the target.

Its all Good

West

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great advice here guys.
As I said, never shot a clay from that far back so a little out of my element. But since it will be part of a fund raiser to help support the youth league, I figure I can throw out a few bucks and just give it a go, have some fun and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Ok so I am about to be in uncharted territory...for me anyway.
I am still working on buying a much more suited trap gun and am shooting a 26" barrel field gun. Have only ever ahot from the 16yd line. Now, the club I shoot at has some 10 bird challenges that are shot from the 27yd line. I know with the short barrels even with a Full choke, I'm outgunned..and lack the experience of having been there before. I'm thinking about using my 30" F choke barrel M12 just to gain some ground here. What shells should I use? Been mostly shooting Gun Clubs and AA's with 1 1/8 oz #8 shot.
Do In need a different shell for the 27yd games at the club?
Giving in to peer pressure here lol
As others have said, barrel length doesn't matter if you know how to point it. But, longer barrels do equate to additional weight typically which can add in your execution of the shot as the weight adds momentum which helps reduce the execution of your swing.

I would acquire 2-3 boxes of AA's or STS's at 1200fps with 7.5's for your call shots.

Do they shooting from farther back if there's a tie?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As others have said, barrel length doesn't matter if you know how to point it. But, longer barrels do equate to additional weight typically which can add in your execution of the shot as the weight adds momentum which helps reduce the execution of your swing.

I would acquire 2-3 boxes of AA's or STS's at 1200fps with 7.5's for your call shots.

Do they shooting from farther back if there's a tie?

Again thanks for sharing the info. I will be picking up a few boxes of AA's or STS this weekend. I'll stick with the 1200fps stuff, that's what I shoot from the 16 anyway.
Yes, if there is a tie they do have a shoot off box beyond the 27yd line. But, I have no idea how far back it actually is. I would guess it to be close to 30-35yds.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
We shoot at a couple wildcat clubs here that shoot 10 off 16, 20 off 23,and 20 off the 27 and I shoot 1145 front,1200 middle and 1235 or 1250 from the back with good success all 7.5 shot.And being non ata we have alot of 26"barreled guns doing very well and a few Mod.12s.Then we have shootoffs from another zip code in the end which I use 1300 AA,don't let the 27 scare you its not that bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts