Trapshooters Forum banner

Ultrasonic Cleaner

1583 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  NitroPilot
What is a good solution to use to clean blued parts of a gun? Not wanting to remove the bluing, just to get rid of the grease, oil, and grime.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13,540 Posts
I've heard that Kerosene works very well. It will hurt the wood though. So remove any wood from the metal first. The best part is Kerosene helps oil all the moving parts as well. Of course if you soak the receiver, you need to follow the recommended oil/grease points on your make shotgun. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

· Registered
15,248 Posts
Simple Green Pro HD (purple).

I used mineral spirits for YEARS, but switched to Simple Green a year or two ago and it works much better. Only drawback is you can't use it on a finished aluminum, and have to be careful about rinsing, drying, and oiling the parts, but I don't have to deal with the lingering smell in the air and on parts anymore.

· Registered
238 Posts
I second on using Kerosene in my ultrasonic cleaner, been using it for years, it's an excellent solvent leaving all of the parts with slight oil film while everything Perfectly clean. I use it on my case colored P-gun without any harm to the color so don't be worried about the bluing. I don't like using any water based solvent.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
RCBS Ultrasonic Weapons Cleaning Solution (87059) 1 quart.
Lyman Turbo Sonic Concentrated Steel & Gun Parts Cleaning Solution (7631715) 1 Quart.
I haven't checked, but I think Brownell's carries both.
They also have brass cleaning solutions.

· Registered
3,639 Posts
I second on using Kerosene in my ultrasonic cleaner, been using it for years, it's an excellent solvent leaving all of the parts with slight oil film while everything Perfectly clean. I use it on my case colored P-gun without any harm to the color so don't be worried about the bluing. I don't like using any water based solvent.
How much Kerosese do you use........ratio to water? The Hornady one shot says 40:1, what about Kerosese. I only plan to use mine to clean gun parts, not brass.

· Registered
238 Posts
Do Not mix, 100% Kerosene. It's inexpensive and you can reuse it forever, just filter it through a coffee filter and put into its own container, don't mix with you unused Kerosene. Use sufficient amount to completely cover your parts. Any residual smell will evaporate off overnight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.