Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to shoot with two eyes today and have been doing better the last few times out. Was out for a brief shoot today as club is semi shut down, members only, etc. At 16 yards, from stations one to five, absolutely smoked the first 20. Then, on station five, missed them all. Took a break, went back to five, closed the left eye and smoked them all. Did not change any hold or look points. Any thoughts from people in the know about what could've gone wrong on station five? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,193 Posts
Tried to shoot with two eyes today and have been doing better the last few times out. Was out for a brief shoot today as club is semi shut down, members only, etc. At 16 yards, from stations one to five, absolutely smoked the first 20. Then, on station five, missed them all. Took a break, went back to five, closed the left eye and smoked them all. Did not change any hold or look points. Any thoughts from people in the know about what could've gone wrong on station five? Thanks.
Without knowing a few things, impossible to tell. Are you lefty or righty? Same eye dominant?

You likely either started crossing over or started bead checking. Somewhat inexplicable to go 0/5 if you’re capable of breaking 25 straight unless you were pointing with a completely wrong reference (I.e. what happens when you crossfire). More likely to happen on lefts on 1 and 2 for righties. Reverse for lefties.

Were you missing all the same target?

Best bet is to have someone watch you. Everything else is a guess.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,193 Posts
One more thought:

I would not put stock in a single post, round or even 100. If you’re going to switch, dedicate yourself to it. Don’t go back to one eyes because it’s comfortable. And shoot this way for a few hundred targets and see where you’re at. It takes a while.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good ideas. I am strong left eye dominant and shoot right handed. BTW when I shoot lefty I usually break the target but this is something I do sometimes just to see if I can. Maybe with a left handed stock I could get used to it. I need tape for skeet but have been able to hit pretty well with two eyes on trap. Probably should not make too much out of the fact that it was post five, could have been any of them. Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe eye fatigue and you started to cross dominate.
Maybe next time start on station 5.

Steve
That is a good idea, I will try it next time. Just trying to eliminate as many of the variables as possible to figure out how to improve. I really enjoy two eye shooting much more. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
You had a good round going and subconsciously you involuntarily slightly raised your head to "take a peek"at target #21. Lost! Now you REALLY bear down on #22 ...and snuck another peek to make sure it broke. because your 2 eye trial was going so well. Lost! Now you're really thinking about not missing and trying too hard and the rest is history. After your break, you went back to basics and it went fine. Been there... Done that.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You had a good round going and subconsciously you involuntarily slightly raised your head to "take a peek"at target #21. Losr! Now you REALLY bore ?down on #22 ...and snuck another peek to make sure it broke. because your 2 eye trial was going so well. Lost! Now you're really .thinking about not missing and trying too hard and the rest is history. Acter your break, you went back to basics and it went fine. Been there... Done that.
You are probably right. I will try to be more aware of this next time.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
If you "....smoked the first 20...." with 2 eyes, there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't have "smoked" the last five, but you didn't. Now the hard part.... FORGET ABOUT IT!!!!

As previously stated, just stick with it for awhile. You're doubting yourself and your abilities right now, and that will cause you to miss more targets.

You have shown me, and yourself, that you CAN shoot well with 2 eyes. DO NOT go back and forth between 1 or 2 eyes. All you will do is confuse the situation even more. If you want to shoot with 1 eye (which I believe all clay target shooter should do if they can), then stick with it for a long enough period of time to make sure it's for you. If it doesn't work after a good, honest try with a lot of hard work, then you can always go back to one eye.

The mind is a powerful thing. Remove all doubt and fill it with positive thoughts and "let" it happen, don't try to "make" it happen.

Also, make absolutely sure that you are LOOKING at the target, not just SEEING it. There is a HUGE difference and takes 100% effort.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that once you missed a target or two, you lost "hard focus" on the target while thinking about your misses, and that is mostly likely one of the reasons for the results.

BTW, I've shot successfully both ways winning in competition, but I see SO much better with 2 eyes. Also, as I've stated before, there must be reason there are no creatures on planet earth with only 1 eye! . To me, that says it all.

Now, get back to work!!!!!!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Did you miss the the same or close to the same angle on post 5 for all 5 misses? I know Pat traps will sometimes send similar angle if squad rhythm is steady without targets getting released or broken off arm Inadvertently.If I have misses on post 5 it is usually because I had my muzzle a little high and lost sight for a split second and rush to the target.I am a 2 eye shooter also.
Joe

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hard rights on station 5 and you shoot right handed?
Did you miss the the same or close to the same angle on post 5 for all 5 misses? I know Pat traps will sometimes send similar angle if squad rhythm is steady without targets getting released or broken off arm Inadvertently.If I have misses on post 5 it is usually because I had my muzzle a little high and lost sight for a split second and rush to the target.I am a 2 eye shooter also.
Joe
I missed both the hard rights and some straight aways. I am thinking I need to be very aware of muzzle height. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts