Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a cause and is there a cure for twisting or canting my gun as I swing to the
target? On left or right hand targets from any station my trigger hand twists or cants
the gun into my face causing my right eye to look down the right side of the barrel. I am a right hand shooter.

I was a very good shooter until around seven months ago and thats when my scores have slowly
declined. 24 & 25's from 16 yards to 19 & 21's. I thought that I could work this out myself but no luck so far.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

John

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Leo canted his and did pretty well :)

Note that the higher your gun shoots, the more effect canting has.

-Gary

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Adjust the comb on your stock so that when you cant the shotgun it puts the rib and sight beads in front of your eye. Then cant the gun when you mount it. HMB

·
Registered
113 Posts
If the pad is not fitted properly into your shoulder, you may cant the gun to get the right spot on your shoulder. An adjustable butt plate "properly fitted" will put the pad on your shoulder where it belongs for the proper sight picture. Also, keep your right elbow up to keep the comb against your face, and keep the gun pulled in to your shoulder firmly (not a death grip though) this will keep the gun from moving out of the sweet spot on your shoulder.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Canting on right and left targets is usually the result of rolling your shoulder over rather than turning your whole body. Rotate your body as a single unit on angles, and keep the gun locked in the same position relative to your body.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have you gained or lost any weight or muscle in your shoulder. This could change your shoulder pocket and might be why you started canting the gun. If I drop my right elbow I find I have to twist the gun into my face, won't realize I'm doing it until I realize my left hand has a death grip on the pistol grip tweaking the shotgun.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm finding that my hand holding the forearm is twisting the gun as I'm swinging. You must be twisting pretty hard to cant the gun from the stock with the it locked into your shoulder. Dave T.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
John,

Check the pitch on your stock. If, as you are mounting the gun by bringing it back to your shoulder with the barrel raised to normal shooting height and the bottom toe of the recoil pad makes contact very much before the top of the pad, pitch is a possible cause of canting.

Rollin

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have avery strong hold on the gun. I'll try to lighten that up. I will also check the pitch.

Thank you,

John

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Where is your hand on the forearm? Cant doesn't have to be a bad thing as long as you are consistant with it, but it sounds like you are making changes in mid-swing, not good.
You might want to consider your stance, sounds like you may be running out of room to swing on the angles and that will force you to roll your should and that will cant your gun. Be sure your foot position gives you ample room to swing. Keep you shoulders straight so that they form a "T" with your backbone, at all times.
You may be putting too much weight on your front foot, breaking over your knee. That can commit you to one side or the either and when the target goes opposite, you are in a bind. Leo always recommended that you shoot from a well balanced position.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If,before you were doing alright with your gun fit and it seems to have changed,It's not the gun its you.I had the same problem,and what I did was to install an adjustable butt plate[Graco unit] lossen it,mount the gun till I canted no more,removed from shoulder and tightend at what ever angle it was at. Worked for me,worth a try.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All of your replies have been great. Tomorrow the work begins. None of your suggestions will be ignored.

Thanks again.

John

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is an observation from another shooting sport. Many years ago I was in the thick of Olympic rifle shooting where the standing position was shot with a "free" rifle (unrestricted, but not cheap) using a palm rest and hook butt plate that went completely under my right arm. The gun weighed 12-14 pounds and the whole idea was to adjust my position and all the gadgetry so the rifle was in complete balance and "hung" on the target. Actually, if you took the rifle away, I'd fall over backwards.

Now when all this was done, I had a significant cant to the left. My scores were OK with no observable effect at 50 meters and a small adjustment - no more than a couple of inches - at 300 meters, to move my POI up and right. After lots of discussions with my coaches, we decided to leave it alone and actually put a small spirit level on the front sight. As long as I was consistent, there was no problem.

If this is applicable to shotgun, I don't think you'd see any significant effect at 50 yards with all the other variables going on. If you can get your shotgun to rest comfortably at a true vertical, by all means do so. But my personal opinion is that it won't make much of a difference.

Break them all,

Hank Cross

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go get your eyes checked, may be a bigger problem than it appears, A blood clot in your eye caused my problems, caused by undianosed A- Fib. Could have been much worse. Haven't shot since,2004. Charlie Soda

·
Registered
14,685 Posts
What Rollin said. Especially if you're a large chested guy. The stock will pivot off the toe and rotate as you swing.

Also keep your trigger arm elbow up, and swing/rotate at the waist/torso.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
If you're mounting the gun straight up and then rolling it canted as you move right or left it sounds to me like you're "arm shooting". Like said above, keep your elbow up and rotate at the waist. Everything above the waist should ideally move as a unit, driven by the hips and legs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
try turning to the target using more turn at the hips instead of moving the gun so much with your hands and arms. This will mean taking a closer look at your foot position to make sure you can turn properly. os

1 - 20 of 21 Posts