Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 15 years my good, ol JVC has I believe gone bye bye. I am thinking of splurging and getting a nice home entertainment center, Blue Ray, Surround Sound, and a new TV. What are your recommendations? I have an entertainment center I bought roughly in 2001 which is where the current tv sits. There is no room for a 55" flat screen in the entertainment center, so I'm looking at a wall mount. BUT, I hate to lose the entertainment center because, I keep so much "stuff" in it and on it. Any questions please ask. Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
My 46" Samsung Series 6 has been running since 2010 without a hitch. It's an LCD but the new LED models are stunning. I'd by another Samsung. My son has a couple LED Sony's that are really nice.

·
Registered
839 Posts
FWIW: had a 48" Series 6 Samsung since 2010, still looks super and works flawlessly. Redid some of our rooms and just got a 60" UHD Smart Samsung LED. Just finished getting it dialed and talking to all the periferrals. Dang impressed too. Costco be your friend. Tho I passed on the Super high def. for another $500. We use a Dish TV for programming.

Ernie

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
We have a 47" Bose . Fantastic picture and the best sound I have ever heard from a TV .

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Stick with a 55" and go with a wall mount,

You could use a surround sound bar. They don't take up much room.

Just make sure you get one of the Smart TV's.

They are getting dirt cheap out there now.

Good luck and good viewing!

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
29,273 Posts
TV's are so cheap any more it hardly makes a difference. I have some Samsungs, also Vizo and hard to tell the difference. Only advice is forgo the 3D if possible, not worth the money. The Smart TV's allow you to surf the web, down load movies etc without other required hardware, past your router.

Entertainment centers are passé, you can still find them in large furniture outlets, but with sound bars, small Bose speakers, etc. you don't need all that furniture unless you want to also hold a lot of books, knickknacks, DVD's. Even DVD's BluRays are going to go eventually as more people download or stream movies. My DVR from dish with 2 terabytes of disc space is 50% full with over 200 movies on it, many I will delete before I watch, more than likely. Dish now offers a DVR that can record up to 16 channels at once.

·
Premium Member
18,229 Posts
We have a 50 something inch Samsung. About 4 years old now and we love it.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Another vote for Samsung in the SUHD series.

For sound a Sony theater in a box. If you are like most, you can't distinguish the sound differences of the high end stuff.

Then put LIFX or hue lights behind the tv and set it to movie mode and have the lights change colors beat to the music.

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
I'm still using my 19 inch black and white Admiral portable I won at a grand opening of a tv store in 1961. One of the ears broke off the antennae so I went out to west Texas and shot a jack rabbit and hung his ears out on the roof of the porch and with those I pick up 4 more channels. Rabbit ears work good up on the hill.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Get a wall mount that will allow the tv to be in front of the ent. center.

·
Registered
718 Posts
3 Samsung's and a new Sony can't tell any darn difference the 54 inch is a Samsung and is in the great roomand just purchased the Sony for the master bedroom I believe the you can't go wrong with either.

Mac

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
There are two things I look to stay away from.

A screen that is shiny and reflects back such as when someone walks around. The same goes for the super shiny black edge frame. I just find these two things annoying.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I'd stay away from Samsung, their products have a tendency to either catch fire or blow up. :)

Now most new TVs have very slim frames, and getting lighter, I just bought a $489.00 UHD 4k 55" LG smart TV from Costco that only weights 35 lb. I can use the small wall mount which is also on sale. Great deals. Better than Black Friday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts