Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People who post for sale ads need to know what turns off most people who are looking at your ad. One glance and they move on....absolutely no interest after reading the ad.

1. A F/S ad with no pics.

2. A F/S ad with "gun for sale, email for pics and info"

3. Guns that the stock has been cut so short that there's 3" of spacers to get it to 14" LOP.

4. Incomplete info.....choking, cased, release or pull triggers.

5. You ask the seller a question and they don't answer, but instead post a TTT to move it up. Lovely.

You guys add your turn-offs.......

·
Supporting Vendor
9,971 Posts
"Mint condition", "100%". I remember some years back a guy was trying to sell an A-5 that was "Professionally restored to 100% condition". He just wouldn't listen to any reasoning. So a lot of people here, myself included, sort drug him through the briar patch of TS.com.

So many people don't seem to understand that 100% condition is new in box, unopened! That said, the guns here are generally well represented, unlike Gunbroker or GunsAmerica. You've gotta be real careful with either of those, especially the latter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sellers need to understand that when they ask the buyer to pay freight and they have to pay a dealer to accept the gun it adds almost 100.00 to the price of the gun Bill

·
Ljutic Nut
2,907 Posts
"Minty"

"Normal Wear for a gun it's age"

"Like new" Then they go on to tell you 10 different modifications they have made to the gun

Jim R

·
Registered
131 Posts
pour speelin n punkiation. Seriously, if the spelling and punctuation make the description difficult to understand, or if it appears to be one of those of third world scam jobs, I don't pay any attention to it. I also hate, "email me for pictures." NO, I won't. If I don't know who I am dealing with I don't want them to have my email address. If you want to sell me something don't make me search for more information. All the little things add to the red flag alert and any red flag is a deal breaker for me, why assume those kinds of risks when there are plenty of other legitimate deals. Dave S.

·
Registered
624 Posts
"Great Price", steal at this price. Highly sought after, rare. 6 months later gun still for sale:)
Putting $2K of modifications on gun and expecting to get $2500 more for the "upgrades"

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Posting a For Sale ad for a gun without a picture, which should be a felony.

"Mint for it's age" is the all-time classic proof that you're dealing with a dolt. Also, what Jim R & Tron said.

People who spend months and months fishing for a sucker who will pay 25-40% more than a gun is worth.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

This may already exist...

Maybe there should be a standard form to fill-in-the-blank for common items such as

Manufacturer

Model

Year of Manufacture or Serial Number range

Location of gun

Contact info for seller

Barrel length

Fixed or screw-in Chokes

Choke constriction

Sight beads

LOP

Stock cast

Stock pitch

Recoil devices

Release or Pull trigger

Adjustable comb

Adjustable rib

Gunsmithing to barrels

Gunsmithing to action or triggers

Gunsmithing to wood

Metal condition

Wood condition

NIB

Pictures of whole gun from both sides

Close-up pictures of vital areas

Close-up pictures of damage or defect

Gun travel, display, or storage case

Accessories such as factory wrenches or cleaning tools

Price

Shipping

Inspection period

Whether offered only as whole or is offered with a parted-out option

History

Famous previous owners

How many 25 Straights are left in the barrels

How it outperforms the laws of physics and common sense

How young women swoon at the sight of it

The completion of such a form when posting in the "For Sale" section would help those who might be a little forgetful and help others to think through possibly helpful information.

A standard form might make it easier on the sellers as well as on the buyers and lookers.

·
Vendor
19,410 Posts
"Firm"

"I'll put it back in the safe"

The one comment in reverse that turns me on is the gun's pedigree

"Won Michigan State Hcp in 2009" (i.e.)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts