Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be of interest. At the turn-of-the-century MANY country clubs, yacht clubs and private schools had trap fields and club houses

Feb. 28, 1914 Sporting Life
Veteran Shooting Man Busy Organizing New Shooting Clubs.
New York City, N. Y., February 20.
As a trap news item, I wish to inform you that since October 1, 1913 I have installed clay bird traps at the following points, viz.: Port Washington Yacht Club, Port Washington, L. I.; Bayside Yacht Club, Bayside L. I.; Stamford Yacht Club, Stamford, Conn.; Indian Harbor Yacht. Club, Greenwich, Conn.; Colonial Golf and Country Club, Paterson, N. J.; Union Social Club, Rutherford, N. J.; Kingsley School for Boys, Essex Falls, N. J.; Knollwood Country Club, White Plains, N. Y.; Peddie Institute, Highstown, N. J.; put in an extra trap at Marine and Field Club, Bath Beach, L. I.; also an extra trap at New Rochelle Yacht Club, New Rochelle, N. Y.
There are also good prospects for a trap at Wykagyl Country Club, Mt. Vernon, N. Y.; Mackenzie School for Boys, Monroe. N. Y.; Pelham Country Club, Pelham, N. Y.; Huntington Yacht Club, Huntington, L. L ; Hicksville Athletic Club, Hicksville, L. I., and Hempstead, L. I.
I inaugurated the North Jersey League of trap shooters which comprises the Jersey City Gun Club; Smith Gun Club, Newark, N. J.; Orange Gun Club, Orange. N. J.; Little Falls Gun Club, Little Falls, N. Y. Also got a league of yacht clubs where trap shooting is in order during the Winter and comprises the following clubs, viz.: Stamford Yacht Club, Conn.; Indian Harbor Yacht Club, Greenwich, Conn.; Bayside Yacht Club, Bayside, L. I.; Manliassett Bay Yacht Club, Port Washington, L. I.; New Rochelle Yacht Club, New Rochelle, N. Y.; Port Washington Yacht Club, L. L. and Marine and Field Club, Bath Beach, L. I.
J. S. FANNING

1904 McClure's Magazine

Hy Watson's "Shooting Off A Tie"

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
January 30, 1897 Sporting Life
Elkwood Park hosted the 1896 - 1899 GAH at Live Birds
Page 17

Tom Marshall on the walkway in front of the clubhouse

DuPont Gun Club
July 26, 1913 Forest & Stream

In the 1915 edition of "The Sport Alluring" courtesy of Randy Davis

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wish I had a better image of Elliott's Blue River Shooting Park

Sporting Life May 31, 1902
Page 28
This barn is on the far left in the image below

April 25, 1903 Forest & Stream
Forest and Stream

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've posted this (unfortunately tiny) image before and do not know what the lines over the shooting stations were for; maybe muslin cloth shades in the summer?

May 3, 1913 Forest & Stream
Bryden Gun Club, Catasauqua, PA

·
Registered
919 Posts
WOW, those are great pictures. Thank you very much for posting them. I really enjoy looking at old photos of the way things use to be. Back before all this crap we're seeing today. Back then you went to work and if there was any money left over after taking care of the family you might do something like trap shooting. Must be why I like long bows in archery, flintlocks in muzzle loading, and SxSs in the shotgun sports. For me it's so much more enjoyable to do it the old way. Thanks again Drew.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

1906 GAH Indianapolis Gun Club
F.E. Rogers, of St. Louis, Mo., on the 17-yard mark, won with the score of 94x100 targets, in a gale of wind with a Smith.
Page 25
Report and images in Forest & Stream June 30, 1906
Forest and Stream

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Soo Gun Club, Sioux City, Iowa. Undated but the club was active c. 1915

1 - 16 of 16 Posts