Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to cook the turkey every year for my brothers and sisters at mom's. This was before I got married. One year mom said to me - let's feed them hot dogs instead. Maybe she was pissed at them, I don't know. I said, better yet, let's feed them turkey hot dogs.

I had a guy at work cook a bird for me in an extra oven. He put bacon on it so it basted throughout the cooking time and would be extra flavorful and moist.

Come time to head out to mom's I called my sister and asked her if she had any whole chickens that were thawed out. She said no, why? I told her I forgot to thaw out the turkey and it was rock hard in my freezer. The rant cranked up immediately. After accusing me of being a college educated idiot, she said I had better get to the store and buy an equal value replacement immediately. I got off the phone right then, but called her back with an idea. Line was busy. She was on the phone ranting with my other sister. Talk about hook line and sinker!

By the time I got to mom's I had backup plans for my backup plans. I had chicken cooking in the oven and turkey hot dogs for the children, but excused myself right before the meal because I had a support call from overseas that I just had to handle. Right when it was time to eat, I walked in with the nicest looking bird you have ever seen.

It was a quiet meal. Delicious but quiet.

After the meal my mom sat us down in a circle in the living room so we could all talk about our feelings. I was wishing I had a real support call from overseas so I could exit the beating before it started. Mom abandoned me completely even though it was her idea to start with. Everyone took their turns, and I suppose it was equal karma dealt back ever so carefully and exactly. My great aunt was the worst with some profanity used to pepper the old crow wing dish for Joe...I've put what she said out of my mind, it was so bad. Maybe I'll think of it and come back to post it.

Moral of the story: Don't take away peoples' traditions. They'll dislike you for it. Trust me, the reaction will be real.

Second moral of the story: If you want to appreciate a good turkey, try basting it with bacon, but try a ham one year and then go back to turkey the next. That's what I should have done.

Have a great turkey day,

Joe

cc-armendariz_maple-roasted-turkey-recipe_s4x3_lg.jpg

·
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The second sister was so upset she forgot to put sugar in the pumpkin pies, so desert was stale donuts from the Gas-N-Go. I think I'll send her a text message to see if she's gotten over this.

gas_n_go_gatlinburg_tn.jpg

·
11,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're kinder and gentler with each other now and I'm thankful for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts