Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is wanting to get back to shooting trap again. In the past she shot a Rem 1100 trap with 30 barrel.
Since that gun is now with one of my grand daughters I need to get her something similar. (new or used is fine)
I'm thinking of another 1100 trap or maybe a Beretta 391 trap.
Here is my question.
She's only about a 125 lbs. so I want to make it a recoil light as possible.
Is it worth the bucks to to have the barrel back bored, ported and whatever else they do these days.
I shoot original 101 Diamond Grades and to my knowledge I do not think I've ever shot a gun that has had barrel work done to it.
Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated because I want my wife to enjoy shooting again.
Its been almost 30 years since she last busted a bird but she was a not bad shooter with a breaking average of 22.
Help and thanks
WIN101
VALPARAISO, IN.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Do not port any auto loader, a Beretta with an Optima bore is already back bored-if you want the gun to be even softer shooting -install a soft-touch recoil system

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not port any auto loader, a Beretta with an Optima bore is already back bored-if you want the gun to be even softer shooting -install a soft-touch recoil system

Phil Berkowitz

Phil Berkowitz
Thanks Phil
I wandered if porting might have a negative affect on ejection.
Again Thanks
Win101

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
If you are going to shoot a 391 there really is not a need to port it ect. I understand that you do not want the shotgun to be so heavey as it would be tiring to mount thru a good days shooting. I would think a 1 oz. load thru a properly set up 391 would be pretty soft to begin with. I used to shoot 391s a lot and had a pair that were set up the same but I added weight to them in the stock and the front. I would put a good closure on one in place of the button for sure along with a t/s shell catcher.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Comp-Syn 1100..............can't beat it for the $$$$$$. Recoil like a 28...............

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
There is a couple 1100 comp's at me club. I didn't think a 1100 could get any softer shooting. I was wrong. They have a Jack West stock with a bump buster on them. Sweet setup.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
There is another recoil discussion thread floating around here somewhere. I had a Beretta 390 with a composite Soft Touch recoil reducing stock and is what I would recommend as Phil does for your wife with exception of maybe moving up to a 391. By the time you add a couple of recoil reducing devices the overall package will be the same or heavier than adding a Soft Touch. This set up has the recoil of a .22 or pellet gun, really ].

Surfer

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is another recoil discussion thread floating around here somewhere. I had a Beretta 390 with a composite Soft Touch recoil reducing stock and is what I would recommend as Phil does for your wife with exception of maybe moving up to a 391. By the time you add a couple of recoil reducing devices the overall package will be the same or heavier than adding a Soft Touch. This set up has the recoil of a .22 or pellet gun, really ].

Surfer
Wow
I need to know more about what you saying.
Sounds like the perfect answer.
Now if I can find a decent looking used one OR bite the bullet and buy a new one to have set up.
Thanks
Win101.
P/S: If you get a reply sometime that's signed Sero1 That's also me.
Sometimes I forget I had to change my T/Shooter password.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can buy a new 1100 synthetic comp for what the soft touch alone is going to run. I had a Beretta with a soft touch and it wasn't appreciably softer than an 1100 with a fitted stock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can buy a new 1100 synthetic comp for what the soft touch alone is going to run. I had a Beretta with a soft touch and it wasn't appreciably softer than an 1100 with a fitted stock.
Thanks Blue
Win101
P/S: Please confirm that received my reply.
It's been a year or better since I've been the T/Shooter site so I need to know I'm doing replies properly.
Win101

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My take on barrels. I shoot a 11-87 overboard trap barrel for 16 yds and a 1100 with a standard bore. What's the difference in felt recoil, none that I can tell.
If you think you need it you do, not for real life performance but for confidence.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
take a look at a beretta a-400 xcel parallel target with the kick-off installed.

it is available in standard length and reduced length

it is the next newer model after the 391.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic. They go for around $1,000. However, I've seen them as low as $950 new online. Smoking good deal for a soft shooting semi-auto that comes with a bump buster, adjustable comb, and adjustable butt plate, as long as you don't mind plastic furniture.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Here's an idea.

Go to the Venders for sale board and send a message to ACSS (wally) and see if he can fix you up with a used Beretta auto. He might be able to build one to fit, and he has al kinds of barrel options.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Here's an idea.

Go to the Venders for sale board and send a message to ACSS (wally) and see if he can fix you up with a used Beretta auto. He might be able to build one to fit, and he has al kinds of barrel options.
that is an idea with merit

1 - 20 of 23 Posts