Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to keep things simple by not investing in a lot of reloading components but it isn't working out that way. I have a fair amount of old style Winchester AAs and have only stocked Winchester 209 primers but sometimes the availability of powder dictates something different. For example, I would like to try a 7/8 oz. load with Clay Dot but I can't find a published load using AAs. There are recipes for Remington STS however. So, I'm thinking of stocking some Rems for this purpose. Do you guys typically reload a variety of hulls?

·
Registered
722 Posts
yep - I even reload RIO/Kemmets with CB6100.

It is just easier to have loaded shells in stock instead of running up to the store to get shells, now I need to know how to get clays for cheap

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
I used to reload pretty much any hull I could get for free. I also had to stock a wide variety of wads, and continually reset my reloading press. I spent a lot of time digging up data for the odd ones. I know it sounds childish, but I really liked reloading the Fiocchi clear hulls, and looking at the powder and wad s through the plastic. Sometimes when good load data was not available I just experimented, of course that uses a lot of time, and you may end up shooting a couple rounds with poor performing shells.

Growing tired of having 15 different 1/2 used bags of wads laying around, I switched to reloading only AA and Remington one piece hulls. By this time I had 30 gallon garbage cans full of hulls. When AA went to multi piece, finished off all the WAA wads and started just reloading Remingtons. That is all I stock components to reload.

When the cost of components went crazy, and I ran out of powder, I stopped reloading my daily use 12 gauge target shells. I buy whatever is on sale. When conditions change, I'll probably go back to the Remington hulls for reloading.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Check out Hodgdon's Clays recipes with Win AA hulls. Clay Dot is suppose to mimic Clays, but the density is not the same so check your drops on a scale to find the right bushing.

I know that this is breaking one of the golden rules, but in these hard times, use common sense and don't load a recipe that is over 10,000 psi. If you plan to shoot in cold weather I would not load the bottom recipe.

The other option is have some shells tested using the Rem recipes with your Win components or Hodgdon's Clays recipes.

Jason

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Not advocating anything but most any powder under 19 grains with a milder primer will probably be fine. It takes quite a bit to harm a quality gun.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to generate 100000 or more pressure loading 7/8 oz no matter what combination of components you use....I've shot with fools who BLEND HERCO and RED DOT powder and load it to the max for back fence Annie Oakleys and while I personally wouldn't stand next to them I've never seen them blow a gun up...

·
Registered
454 Posts
beeser,
I've simplified my reloading bench as much as possible. I only reload 7/8 oz of 7.5 shot at 1150 FPS. I use the AA hulls, Downrange wads, Winchester 209 primers and Red Dot. These shells work fine for my singles, doubles and wobble trap practice shooting. The Alliant on-line reloading guide works great. Here's the link Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Good Shooting
Gavin

·
5,388 Posts
+1 what TSS said... been doing that since 2000... I've also substituted Claydot for Clays over the past couple years. But have to use a different bushing for the "dot"

Regards
Jay

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
If you put the STS load in a AA hull the Moon will leave orbit and crash into the Earth. HMB
Oh good Lord, don't let the dirt fools hear this!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts