Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am currently in the Highschool trap and skeet league and am currently shooting a semi auto. I was looking for an over under that's I can use for both trap and skeet. Any suggestions on what I should look for or how to find a good gun for a good price?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lots to consider with those questions. First may be what is a good price - or what's your budget. For a quality skeet/trap over under you may expect to pay about $1,000, couple hundred less possibly if patient. Foremost to consider is what fits you best. Also often times what works well for someone with trap doesn't translate well into a skeet gun or vice versa. If you're part of a league try out different guns and find one that works for you before making an investment - I suspect you'd have some options to consider. You may want to start your look with SKB, Winchester, Browning and Beretta. Again be patient, handle different guns and focus on fit. Deals often show up on this members for sale board, otherwise look at some of the other gun sale/auction sites like Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc. I wanted an over under for the longest time, and have what I consider to be a versatile Beretta, but realistically find I typically shoot my semi's better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would say a Browning special sporting would work or something along those lines. Guns Unlimited is a huge dealer of Brownings and if you made the trip to the Grand you could certainly find one to fit you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would say a Browning special sporting would work or something along those lines. Guns Unlimited is a huge dealer of Brownings and if you made the trip to the Grand you could certainly find one to fit you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't know what your price range is but I would stay +$1,000 at least for something that won't break quickly with the volume you'll put down range. Try checking out a Browning Citori CX. It is a higher ribbed gun so it's good for trap and sporting. You can have an aftermarket comb cut into the stock. You should be able to pick one up for roughly $1,400.

Now if you have a higher budget be sure to let me know and I can list guns all day long!

·
5,044 Posts
Hey, I am currently in the Highschool trap and skeet league and am currently shooting a semi auto. I was looking for an over under that's I can use for both trap and skeet. Any suggestions on what I should look for or how to find a good gun for a good price?
Whatever brand you you consider, ensure the gun is a target type gun, overbuilt to take hundreds of rounds per day.

I've shot trap and sporting guns successfully at both. To shoot both, you'll need to compromise on barrel length and changeable chokes.

I shoot a 30" Superposed with chokes for days when I need one gun to shoot Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays.

The Superposed was a fixed choke gun at $1000, but chokes will add a few hundred more...

Consider buying good used to maximize your ability to buy a better gun you might otherwise not be able to afford.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Remember, always shoot it before you buy it. It's the only way
to be sure it is user friendly. HMB

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'll second the browning cx recommendation. I bought one (micro 30 inch) about a month ago. Shoots about 70/30 for me. Fits great. I like a shorter LOP. Has spacers to add length if needed.
As others have said, try b4 you buy if possible.
George

·
Registered
283 Posts
For the money, almost everyone will tell you it's hard to beat Browning Citori's. They come in several configurations, and are very reliable, new and used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know what your price range is but I would stay +$1,000 at least for something that won't break quickly with the volume you'll put down range. Try checking out a Browning Citori CX. It is a higher ribbed gun so it's good for trap and sporting. You can have an aftermarket comb cut into the stock. You should be able to pick one up for roughly $1,400.

Now if you have a higher budget be sure to let me know and I can list guns all day long!

Where are you finding CX/Crossover for $1400?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
2 weeks ago Cabeleas had CX's for $1650, regular price $1799 . There is a Youth $100 Browning rebate if signed by your coach.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Find a gun that you can afford and fits, if a gun does not fit it is useless to you and will never enjoy shooting.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Gojosh,
I was thinking the same thing about that post. I'd like to see that price advertised.
I looked pretty hard and best price I found was 1550 at Ables Sporting.
That's where I bought my CX Micro. Easy transaction. I'm not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer.
George

·
Registered
791 Posts
Pullthattarget,
No offense intended. Your buddy got a really good price. Good for him.
Prices change fast.
When I looked at Cabelas, their price was high, even at their "sale price".
At 1750, that's ridiculous.
George

1 - 19 of 19 Posts