Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never had an older Beretta 3” magnum, but I understand the gas ports require enlarging for The use of target rounds. Thinking about buying a nice 3” 302 But I’d rather not alter the gas ports. Could a lighter recoil spring be installed or a couple coils trimmed from the existing spring? Also it seems that if the gun is kept clean it should eject 3 dr equivalent loads. I shoot a lot of the 1 oz 1,290 Estates. Please share your experiences. Thanks. Ed

·
Registered
180 Posts
As another poster has mentioned, test your favorite load to see if it cycles reliably...

However if your favorite load does not cycle the action, then you have a decision to make...

If you bought the 302 for hunting, then keep the gas port as is...but if you bought the gun for target shooting, then drill the port and grind some clays...

and if you ever sell the gun after altering the gas port, let the buyer know up front so he can decide if he needs an altered gun.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As stated try your load and see if it cycles. You can search and try to find a 2 3/4 barrel but they are rare as hens teeth. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Try taking a index drill bit set and run thru the gas Port holes. By hand!
You will be surprised how much crud that you will get out just by cleaning the ports.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
when you get your new shotgun,....... disassemble and clean thoroughly. Like said above.... all the nooks and crannies need to be cleaned. Lube the action and then shoot your loads... I bet it cycles just fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’ve never had an older Beretta 3” magnum, but I understand the gas ports require enlarging for The use of target rounds. Thinking about buying a nice 3” 302 But I’d rather not alter the gas ports. Could a lighter recoil spring be installed or a couple coils trimmed from the existing spring? Also it seems that if the gun is kept clean it should eject 3 dr equivalent loads. I shoot a lot of the 1 oz 1,290 Estates. Please share your experiences. Thanks. Ed
If they need enlarging a tool and die shop could do this for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts