Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Could you please describe the thought process you went through that led you to this particular powder for this particular purpose?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Walked into bass pro shop they had 700x red dot and 800x. Red dot was a bust for me never could tune a perfect load. 700x is what I use for singles I've tuned a perfect load for 16 yard line. 800x is something I have never tried yet trying to make a good handicap reload for 27 yard line

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Walked into bass pro shop they had 700x red dot and 800x. Red dot was a bust for me never could tune a perfect load. 700x is what I use for singles I've tuned a perfect load for 16 yard line. 800x is something I have never tried yet trying to make a good handicap reload for 27 yard line
Thoughts,:

Doesn't meter well through progressive loaders

Has a loud crack when loading 1.125oz shot to trap velocities (included is 1250fps). Your neighbors will not like you!

Poor economy, takes alot in comparison to a large host of other powders.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Pheasant master hit it right with 800X. Get a single stage loader and big powder bushings. NO BAFFLE!

I loaded a small test batch in 12 ga, 1 1/8 oz at 1350 and liked it. It took an enormous amount of powder. However, it was fairly pleasant to shoot, hit the long bird like a Mack truck, and got to the target quickly. It made a most satisfying boom. LOL

This powder can push 1 1/4 oz at speeds over 1400 fps. It is a serious propellant for game loads.

Nothing wrong with Green Dot or Super Handicap for your end use.

With that said it is superb in 20 and 28 ga Riefenhauser hulls.

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
136 Posts
Pheasant master hit it right with 800X. Get a single stage loader and big powder bushings. NO BAFFLE!

I loaded a small test batch in 12 ga, 1 1/8 oz at 1350 and liked it. It took an enormous amount of powder. However, it was fairly pleasant to shoot, hit the long bird like a Mack truck, and got to the target quickly. It made a most satisfying boom. LOL

This powder can push 1 1/4 oz at speeds over 1400 fps. It is a serious propellant for game loads.

Nothing wrong with Green Dot or Super Handicap for your end use.

With that said it is superb in 20 and 28 ga Riefenhauser hulls.
I’m using 800X for handicaps works very well.The guys at the Club call them Boomers! Loud!! Annoys some...
I use aMEC 650,Gun Clubs,Sts.Win AA’s. I do use a powder baffle. There is some inconsistent powder drops due to the large flake powder. I haven’t found it to be a problem. Drops are between 21.8 and 22.4.

Here’s the load I use...
800X 22.1 gr. # 30 bushing
CB 1118-12/WAA12
Federal 209A or Win 209
1 1/8 7.5
Chrono at 1235-1250 fps
Estimated psi 9500-9700

One potent load...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought 8lbs of it back when powder was hard to get and was putting it in 20ga shells through a mec junior and HATED it. Never could get it to meter correctly in 20ga. Set it back and ran out of 700x and thought I might try using it up in 12ga shells. So I started digging and couldn't find a load for 1oz. Finally I worked up a load and I LOVE it. Just bought another 4lbs not too long ago to use as well. Best metering powder I have ever seen if used with 12ga. The loads do use quit a bit of powder to get them going the 1250 I expect but I think going forward this will be my usual 12ga powder!

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
136 Posts
I bought 8lbs of it back when powder was hard to get and was putting it in 20ga shells through a mec junior and HATED it. Never could get it to meter correctly in 20ga. Set it back and ran out of 700x and thought I might try using it up in 12ga shells. So I started digging and couldn't find a load for 1oz. Finally I worked up a load and I LOVE it. Just bought another 4lbs not too long ago to use as well. Best metering powder I have ever seen if used with 12ga. The loads do use quit a bit of powder to get them going the 1250 I expect but I think going forward this will be my usual 12ga powder!
The load I’ve listed for 1 1/8 oz nice.
There’s no current 1 oz load listed and would not recommend 1 oz.Powder is a pretty slow burning powder 1 1/8 minimum loads. Would Be even better at 1 1/4 loads for hunting.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
How much 800X are you dropping to get a one ounce load going 1250fps?

What kind of loader are you using that 800X meters so efficiently through?

·
Registered
58 Posts
How much 800X are you dropping to get a one ounce load going 1250fps?

What kind of loader are you using that 800X meters so efficiently through?
I am loading 23.3 grains of it in a mec junior. I am using a charge bar with a bushing instead of an adjustable bar. I think the big bushing allows those large flakes to fall into it better then when loading it in 20ga.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The load I’ve listed for 1 1/8 oz nice.
There’s no current 1 oz load listed and would not recommend 1 oz.Powder is a pretty slow burning powder 1 1/8 minimum loads. Would Be even better at 1 1/4 loads for hunting.
That is what I sometimes use it for 1 1/4 hunting loads.. typically does not meter well, but I have had success with a Lyman 55 powder measure - slower than a loader, but better than hand measuring each drop (I still check every 10th drop with this stuff).

I keep this stuff mostly around because I have a load I like for 147gr 9MM using 800x.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It’s a good powder for killers 1 1/4 and 25.0 grains with a red wad is pretty good stuff
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
My thought, you wasted your money.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts