Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey gang, since I have always gotten good info. from this forum (thanks to all) I thought I would ask if anyone knows a place in Virginia (preferable for same day sales) or nearby (WV, NC, even PA) where I could try out a new gun before buying it? Or, at least a retailer with a good selection of new guns in the Browning / Beretta ($3-4 K) price range? I'm thinking of buying a new trap gun and wanted to check a few out. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I have heard of no place here in Virginia where you can try out brand new guns by shooting them and thus making them used guns! That's about the dumbest thing a retailer could do in the hopes of making a sale.

If you live in Lynchburg, you could visit Brushy Mountain Club off Route 29 between Gretna and Alta Vista as a guest and I feel sure you could find just about every popular make and model to try. Members are very friendly and would be eager to help in your search.
Sunday PM would be the best time probably.

Also, the Lynchburg Isaac Walton club is a Trap shooting facility and worthy of your attention.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
There are no gun shops in VA that cater specifically to the shotgun sports and as claybrdr says, you won't ever find a gunshop in VA that has a try before you buy type of deal, at least for shotguns. The closest thing to seeing a variety of shotgun inventory is Cabelas or Gander Mountain but even then, you are going to see at the very most, MAYBE a Browning Citori or Beretta 686. You will see more of the autoloaders than over/unders.

As others as said, Joel Etchen would be a good start, as well as HiGrade Shooters Supply, both in central-western PA. Shyda's in eastern PA MAY have a trap gun but they will most likely have a couple of sporting Browning or Beretta over/unders (692 or below). All three do not have a "try before you buy" that I'm aware of.

If you are not in a hurry, try attending a big trap shoot next year, preferably the PA State Trap shoot, as you will at least be able to fondle a variety of trapsguns, notably from HiGrade Shooters, as they bring a lot of their inventory to display. You missed it by about a month or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As claybrdr said, both the locations he mentioned have members who shoot the guns you mentioned. another thought-- you might want to post your need on their bulletin boards located in the clubhouses. You can shoot at both venues as a guest.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
There are no gun shops in VA that cater specifically to the shotgun sports and as claybrdr says, you won't ever find a gunshop in VA that has a try before you buy type of deal, at least for shotguns. The closest thing to seeing a variety of shotgun inventory is Cabelas or Gander Mountain but even then, you are going to see at the very most, MAYBE a Browning Citori or Beretta 686. You will see more of the autoloaders than over/unders.

As others as said, Joel Etchen would be a good start, as well as HiGrade Shooters Supply, both in central-western PA. Shyda's in eastern PA MAY have a trap gun but they will most likely have a couple of sporting Browning or Beretta over/unders (692 or below). All three do not have a "try before you buy" that I'm aware of.

If you are not in a hurry, try attending a big trap shoot next year, preferably the PA State Trap shoot, as you will at least be able to fondle a variety of trapsguns, notably from HiGrade Shooters, as they bring a lot of their inventory to display. You missed it by about a month or so.
The Westy Hogan Shoot is September 9-11 at Elysburg. Does anyone have an idea of how many vendors show up for this shoot? I know the shoot is not as big as the PA state. Attendance last year was almost 800.

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
You might look at The Greenbrier - they have trap, skeet, and sporting clays - They have rental guns as well... Just so you know - shooting there isn't cheap.

The Greenbrier - Gun Club at The Greenbrier

In N/E PA you can hit Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays (Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays) - I know for certain they have rental/loaner guns.

Another option is to hang out at guns clubs - most shooters I know will let you try their gun if you are considering buying one like it (heck, half of them will try to sell you one of theirs).

Reactions: Slick Mick

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might look at The Greenbrier - they have trap, skeet, and sporting clays - They have rental guns as well... Just so you know - shooting there isn't cheap.

The Greenbrier - Gun Club at The Greenbrier

In N/E PA you can hit Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays (Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays) - I know for certain they have rental/loaner guns.

Another option is to hang out at guns clubs - most shooters I know will let you try their gun if you are considering buying one like it (heck, half of them will try to sell you one of theirs).
Thanks HSLDS... It looks like "rental guns" was the terminology I needed to use; similar to the way some gun shop / ranges rent popular models to potential buyers.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Track down the company rep of the gun you wish to buy, they can get a gun to a shop in your area to try. I did this , and it is way to make good contacts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you are interested in a single barrel trap gun, I have a Perazzi TM-1 in close to closet queen grade for sale. I am in Virginia, and shoot regularly at the Christiansburg Izaak Walton League's registered trap shoots. If you travel to shoots, come on over to see us sometime, and I can let you try out this gun.
Arthur Bodell

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
IIRC, Bull Run Shooting Center in Centreville, VA rents Browning Citoris, but I think they're skeet guns. Prince Georges County Trap and Skeet Center in Glenn Dale, MD rents Beretta O/Us (I think they're 686 Silver Pigeons). So those are a couple options you can try. Really though, unless you look crazy, I think most folks would let you shoot at least a few targets with their shotgun if you ask them.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Go to Eleysburg, Westy Hogans shoot, end of story. Other than Etchens or Cove Creek, their neighbor down the road, that is about your only choice. They will likely be displaying at Eleysburg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Barts has some demo guns you can shoot. I met Roy Bart at Loch Raven Trap and Skeet Club and he let me demo a new out-of-the-box Caesar Guerini O/U. After shooting a hundred rounds on the skeet and trap range I ended up buying the gun.
Barts Home Page

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Greenbrier IMHO is total ripoff unless you're on a corporate expense account-was passing thru, my wife came back with their prices for a round of trap & I said I don't mind getting screwed unless I'm really enjoying it.

Phil Berkowitz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts