Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I load paper feds on my 9000g for 16 yards and they are beautiful but I don't want to change powder bushings and powder to load handicap loads so I decided to use my 366. I put in the smooth crimp starter and keep getting a hole in the center of the crimp. I ran the starter up and down and it's still there. I ran the final crimp die up and down and the plunger too but the hole is still there.
I called Hornady this morning and the tech told me "The press is made for plastic. If I want to load paper I will have to use a cardboard wad over the shot." Unless someone here has a solution, I'll trade it for another 9000G or go through the bushing change.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Gary B.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Sounds like you might be loading 2 different amounts of powder & shot, have you tried a different (shorter--\--longer wad????

When I had my 366 I had to lower the starter about one turn (but I did change to the 6 point starter) and raise the final die about two turns (from where it was for STSs) to keep from collapsing (bulging) the hull right at the brass. (Probably had to adjust the plunger too) No longer have the 366, (don't shoot enough anymore) now using a 266 single stage but have it adjusted just about the same, this setting still works well with plastic also but the crimp is a little shallower, if I turn the plunger down 1\2 to a full turn it then produces crimp depths about equal to factory, but I usually just leave it set for papers. The papers are thicker (no skive) at the mouth hence the difference in crimp depth. Hope this helps. Ross Puls

·
Registered
148 Posts
I purchased a smooth crimp starter for my Spolar but no matter how I adjusted it I was not satisified with the final crimp. As I don't load many papers I went back to the starter crimp I use on plastic and this eliminated the crimp problem on the Federal paper hulls. I only load the paper hulls a couple of times then chuck them. This works for me yours may differ.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. I do have a 6 point starter and I'll give that a try since that's what they started out with. I may try another wad too.
Thanks again,
Gary B.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I load federal papers on a 366 and don't have any problem with a hole in the crimp. I suspect it is a feature of your load and not a problem with the loader. Perhaps a bit less stack height. I use a Federal 12S3 replacement wad.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using the 12S3 wad with 1 1/8 oz. of shot and 22 gr. of green dot for handicap. I tried an experiment this evening. I used the 366 to drop the powder, wad and shot. I took the shell out and ran it through the crimp starter and crimp stations on my Mec and they were nearly perfect. I know that tells me I have to tweak the crimp stations on the 366.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Hole in the middle usually is indicative of the crimp starter being a tad too high. I would start with that and see if it cures the problem. But I agree, you have a lot of powder in there and using a bit shorter wad, such as the 12S4, might do the trick was well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts