Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if anyone else had the same problem as me? If I shoot from the 16 I get used to it and shoot pretty well usually scoring a 23 or 24. Then when I shoot from the 27 I can't hit jack until I've shot several rounds and then I'm back to the low 20's. If I go back to the 16 I'm back to shooting 15 or 16 until I have a few rounds under my belt then it's back to usual. I can never seem to get the two together. I shoot for the fun of it, not any registered, but it's frustrating just the same. LOL Any suggestions appreciated. Jackie B.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been loading 19.3 grains of promo and 1 oz of 7 1/2's in a AA hull using claybuster wads over a Cheddite primer. The only thing I change is 18 grains of promo for the 16. I was using green dot and they didn't have it when I ordered supplies so bought Promo. Have now acquired some green dot but have been trying to use up the promo. This may sound crazy but my shooting was much better using green dot. It would really smoke em way out there. I know that it was probably a confidence thing, or so I was told. Jackie B.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Barry, I don't shoot registered, just for fun. We only have one trap range which is overlaid with skeet and we just enjoy shooting from whereever. The closest place for me to shoot registered is 80 miles away so I don't. Jackie B.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
<blockquote><I>"Is 27 your assigned yardage?"</I></blockquote>

What difference should that make? Pheasants rarely ask if you're standing at the right distance to shoot them or if they're flying at the proper height above the grass.

MK

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
MK--I sensed no smart a$$ attitude in Barry's question. I think it was a legit question not knowing what kind of "non registered" trap shooting the fellow shoots. Maybe he was in a non organized form of trap shooting with rules similar to ATA's. He has sensed cleared that up but don't always assume people are being a-holes.

P.S. For what its worth, i'm not trying to be an a-hole either. Its all good.

Matt

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I'm not getting on Barry for his question. I guess it's a bias on my part.

One of the things that turned me off to shooting registered targets was the continual and aggravating whining about the targets that I heard at EVERY shoot I went to...
<blockquote><I>"The targets are <ul><li>too low!"<li>too high!"<li>too fast!"<li>coming out too slow!"<li>too hard to see!</ul></i></blockquote>If the targets weren't hung in exactly the right spot in the sky at exactly the right time some of these princesses wouldn't shoot at them and they held up the squad while they argued their case to anybody they could corner. I wanted to tell them, "Shut up already and shoot at the damned thing where it is." but I figured that it wasn't going to change and there would be nothing to gained by it and I just left them to their crying.

Yeah, there's a learning curve involved in moving further away from the target, but the more you try to analyze the problem the harder it is to solve. Experiment. You'll get it eventually.

MK

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
There is a wall.. somewhere between the 16 yard line and the 27.. that once you cross.. everything is different.. For me.. it was about 24 yards.. Shooting from the 22..or 24 made no difference.. but once I hit the 25...wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... A whole new target appeared..and I had a very hard time finding the target..(a visual problem).. Now.. faster shells helped me alot in timing... The resulting answer for me was to drop my hold point and get them right out the house.. Don't let them see 10 feet.. Everyone is different.. this is just my story.. All Good.. Mike

·
Registered
671 Posts
You really need to raise your comb when moving from the 16 to the 27...your gun needs to shoot higher. Try raising your comb 1/4". If you don't, you need to relearn how to break when you move back & forth. Not good...confuses your brain. Obviously, any bbl movement at the 27 is magnified at the longer distance, so, careful and precise bbl movement is quite important at the longer yardages. No random bbl movement...precise, controlled moves to the target.

WNCRob

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
Would you not expect to see more difficulty moving from the 16 to the 27? I'd think so.

Remember that most shooters do not attain the 27 yard line, so it must be difficult.

I'll tell you what's difficult; shoot from the 23 and then a day later having to shoot from the 26.5 and stay there for a full year. Now, THAT was a "do it or die" thing.

IMHO.

WW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.