Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around for a 28ga automatic and I cam across the TriStar 28ga sporting. Looks like a nice clean gun with and adjustable comb and stock, and raised vent rib with Beretta or Benelli chokes. Price is half of the Remington ($578.00 -vs- $1150.00). And it has a five year warranty. Anyone have any experience with this gun that they will share.

·
Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
I bought one to play around with, sporting clays & skeet. Shoots where I look right out of the box, shot 1 flat through it so far without a hiccup.

Very impressed with the quality compared to the price. Lot's of fun to shoot, I'll probably get an O/U so I don't have to chase the hulls around on the sporting course. At .15 each they are worth picking up. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I bought a 28 ga. TriStar Sporting last year. My experience is the same as Harv Shell's post. The only expception is, that I took it to Argentina to a high volume dove hunt and shot an unknown brand of European shells. The gun did not like the shells and would not function adequately. On the other hand, I took it to North Dakota and shot Fiocchi Golden Pheasant ammo. It fuctioned perfectly. The roosterss just "rained " out of the sky. Very fun to shoot.

John

·
Banned
16,308 Posts
Bought one on the net new. Peddled it after I looked it over. Did not appear like it would hold up after much use.

Just did not want to deal with a gun that will not have function or lousy resale value.

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
The 28 ga. is one fun gun to shoot for sure!!! 'BUT' You have to reload to shoot it, because of the cost of shells. If you buy a Auto in 28 ga. I hope you like a lot of extra exercise, get yourself a magnet on a stick to pick up your empties. Remember some clubs keep whatever hits the ground, depending on where your at. O/U makes it easier all the way around. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
I don't reload em'. $93 + tax a flat for Win AA and $37.50 for the empties makes $61.50 a flat pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Havn't experienced the 28 ga, but the 20 and 12 gauge models are great!

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
We have a few leftover Tristar loaners at the Gun Club. They are not built for high volume shooting. If kept clean and serviced, they work pretty well. The 20's have broken more parts than the 12's. Likely the 28 is on the same platform, and remember, the 28 is a high pressure round.

One can load 11/16 oz in the 28 for less than $3.50 per box if a little time is spent comparison shopping.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought one to play around with, sporting clays & skeet. Shoots where I look right out of the box, shot 1 flat through it so far without a hiccup.

Very impressed with the quality compared to the price. Lot's of fun to shoot, I'll probably get an O/U so I don't have to chase the hulls around on the sporting course. At .15 each they are worth picking up. Good luck.
Have you shot any reloads through the gun?

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a 28 ga. TriStar Sporting last year. My experience is the same as Harv Shell's post. The only expception is, that I took it to Argentina to a high volume dove hunt and shot an unknown brand of European shells. The gun did not like the shells and would not function adequately. On the other hand, I took it to North Dakota and shot Fiocchi Golden Pheasant ammo. It fuctioned perfectly. The roosterss just "rained " out of the sky. Very fun to shoot.

John

John
Have you shot any reloads through the 28 ga?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Yes,
I hand loaded quite a few loads from published data in the small bore manual I bought from Ballistic Products.
My loads used lil gun powder and Longshot, they worked flawlessly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts