Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The third Saturday in So Cal. is usually an off day for sporting clays tournaments, so TBC stepped up and decided to throw a 100-bird Sporting event, and a 50-bird Super Sporting event. The fact that it turned out to be 75 and sunny, just made it that much (more) better.

Four of us (Tom Bandy, Art McCall, Jim Simmons, & I) set out to shoot Super Sporting first. Five stations (11 - 15), four machines each station, A, B, C, D singles, then three pairs (ten birds at each station).

I started out pretty well with a 9 on the first station, then hit all of the singles on the second station, and promptly missed all of the report pairs, for a 4. How does that work? Aren't report pairs just two singles?

Of course when we went back and reshot them afterwards, I crushed them. I ended up with a 32x50. HOA was a 48x50 turned in by sub jr Shabaz Bassi. These sub jr's are tough to beat, but at least I can drive myself to the range, and buy booze on the way home

The targets were outstanding, and Jun has really stepped up the level being thrown in So Cal. Everything looked hittable, but he made you work for every "X".

Next up, sporting clays. Two machines at ten stations (16 - 25) true pairs and report pairs (ten birds at each station).

More great targets, no eye tests, and no short windows. HOA was claimed by Master Class shooter Fabrizio Buschini with an 88x100. Again, nobody was mad at Jun, they all looked hittable.

I was doing OK, and got a gift when I missed the first target of a true pair, but the second bird never got throw, so pair over, dead pair (thanks Art).

I stepped into the last station (# 25) with a 68. It was a true pair, an easy out-goer and a monster chandelle. I missed the easy out-goer three times in the same place before Tom Bandy said, "you need to be more left". I hit the next two, and ended up with a 5.

B class was taken by John Townsend with a 74x100

I turned in a sub par 73x100 but it was enough to tie for second place with you guessed it, Tom Bandy. Thanks for the tip, Tom

Here's a link to the scores: http://www.triplebclays.com/modules/Results/scfsjan2514.pdf

We've got more fun tournaments scheduled, so if you're looking for some fun in the sun, put So Cal in your travel plans.

Triple B Clays

Phone (626) 579-5201

http://www.triplebclays.com/

831 N. Rosemead Blvd.

South El Monte, CA 91733

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>>"This is a trap shooting site"!!!!!

I'm only 55, so still too young for ATA sub Jr :)

>>Near what town?

40 minutes from LAX airport in Los Angeles

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few people have asked me about the price/prize structure. The tournament is $70 (plus fees). For that you get 100 birds, $20 back to class, lunch, and one raffle ticket (knives, shooting bags, hats, etc..).

But the real benefit is you can buy two additional 100-bird rounds for $25 each (verses $46 each).

In my case the $20 back to class was a 60 / 40 split between first and second. First place got $96, and second got $64 which Tom and I split. I think it gets split every six or seven shooters, we had eight.

I'm not sure what happens if two people tie for first, do they split the first and second money, of do they just split the first money, and the second place guy/girl actually gets more?

That doesn't seem right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts