trigger trouble | Trap Shooters Forum

trigger trouble

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by red vette, Aug 2, 2020 at 12:07 PM.

1. red vette

red vette Active Member

I just bought a nearly new perazzi HT10 ,the gun opens and closes very smoothly, except when I put in my Precision trigger, then it binds about half way thru the opening and closing stroke. I took out the cocking foot but it still does it. I have two other perazzi triggers that I have also tried and they also work fine. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

2. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yes, the first thing I would look at is to make sure the cocking bar is not dragging on the trigger housing during the cocking stroke.

red vette thanked this.
  3. red vette

red vette Active Member

I coated the channel that the cocking bar slides in with white perazzi grease and saw no signs of rubbing , all the areas still had a light coating of grease. including the cocking bar. the binding seems to be in the middle of the stroke ,opening and closing, and I hear a slight clicking in the forearm.

4. red vette

red vette Active Member

I measured the length of the cocking bar from the front of the trigger housing , compared to my mx10RS, it is about .005 longer.

5. ishoottrap

ishoottrap Well-Known Member

With the clocking foot out, that was my first guess as well. It's just about got to be clocking or ejectors, no other parts interface do they?
    Does it bind and then as you keep opening, it "unbinds"? If so, does it cock normally? If it still binds with the shoes removed I'm with Don on the cocking bar, what else interfaces?

6. red vette

red vette Active Member

there is no signs of dragging , yes it binds slightly and then unbinds as you say,on the open and closing strokes, I think the cocking bar is too long, as compared to the mx10, it cocks and the ejectors work fine with all triggers, .005 isn't very much and it isn't binding very much

7. ishoottrap

ishoottrap Well-Known Member

If the bar were too long, the hammers would hit end of travel and stop the opening but it would happen at the very end of opening. This could be caused by improper fitting of the hammer to the shoe (bump or groove on the radius where the shoe bears) but since it happens with the shoes removed, it sure indicates a bind on the cocking bar. Is the end that contacts the forearm extension finished nicely?

red vette thanked this.
  8. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

While it a a good observation that one cocking bar is 0.005" longer than the other does not mean it is too long.

From previous experience, I do not think that this is something the average gun owner will be able to fix.

Your best best is to send it to someone who can look at the operation and take some measurements.

I will be happy to look at it and fix it for you, my turnaround time is 1-2 days. PM me for details.

Don Rackley

red vette thanked this.
  9. red vette

red vette Active Member

the cocking bar was too long, I took the cocking bar out of my mx10 and it measured .oo8 shorter,put it in the HT10 and it worked okay, filed .005 off and polished the forearm end, worked great. Thank you for all the sincere interest,I guess old dogs can still think,, I think???

10. Steel Charlie

Steel Charlie Member

I've never had a Perazzi that didn't way over-cock the hammers. I've never felt any hesitation in dressing the forend end of the cocking bars as they show some wear from the heavy loads on that end over time even with the best of lubes. I wouldn't wanta guess how much I've removed from the ends of a couple that have come by me that had obviously not been very well lubed for some time - and they still worked just fine.

red vette thanked this.
  11. o-hale

o-hale Well-Known Member

I have 2 TM1’s and they both have PG triggers.
    The triggers will not interchange and work from one gun to the other without switching the cocking foot.

12. Red Birds

Red Birds Well-Known Member

Make sure when u are changing it the gun is closed so u dont bend the cocking bar.