Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1-year old Beretta JEG 687 with about 6,000 rounds through it........

Here's what's happening.......After I shoot the first bird, I go to shoot the second bird and the gun doesn't fire. I will typically let go of the trigger and then pull the trigger again and the gun will fire. This has happened 3 times in the last couple of weeks.

Is this me blocking the trigger reset after the first shot or a mechanical issue?

Thanks in advance for the advice.....

·
Registered
488 Posts
Probably you! To find out, purposely fire the first shot being mindful to release the trigger and then pull the trigger again. If it fires again, then you have been inadvertently crabbing the trigger. If it doesn't fire then it's a trip to the smith. Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
When I shot my Beretta, I would occasionally have the same problem. In my case the suspicion was that I was not releasing the trigger after firing the first shot. Another thing to consider is, have you put a recoil reduction system on the gun? Periodically, when these systems are installed the stock bolt ends up interfering with the trigger. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
293 Posts
There are 2 things it may be.

One, if you are wearing gloves, sometimes the glove bunches up and won't let the trigger re-set.Make sure you wear gloves that don't have a seam on the bottom of the finger. Make sure it's on the top instead.

The other is not holding your gun tight into your shoulder. If you don't do that, sometimes the trigger won't reset either.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
My brother had the same problem with his Citori Special Trap. He wasn't releasing the trigger all the way between shots. Once he was aware of this he had no problems. Ed

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you have a PFS does the lockup that vdt sells on this site help to set the trigger on the second shot?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Does it have an adjustable length of pull trigger? The trigger itself may be loose. I had that happen with my CG and had the same symptoms. Very easy fix, just tighten it up.

·
2,755 Posts
When my wife first started shooting doubles, she had the same problem with her Beretta 682. She swore she was releasing the trigger, but, watching carefully, we saw she was not completely letting it return. Once she started slowing just a fraction of a second to make sure, she had no other problems and now can shoot them as fast as she is able with no trigger problem.

Sometimes a hitting the target problem, but no trigger problem.

Bob

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My Citori was doing that and it needed a trigger cleaning. took it apart and degreased and rem oiled it. All better. good luck, probably not a big problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the same problem with 687EELL. I was not letting go of the trigger and did not have the gun firmly into my shoulder. The best gunsmith in town shot three rounds of skeet with my gun to prove to me it was not the gun. Human error!

Joe

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Guys. Sounds like it's most likely human error.

I'll give her a good cleaning/oiling just to be sure but sounds like it's not a mechanical issue.....

Thanks a bunch.

P.S. In reference to earlier posts, I don't have a recoil device or PFS on the gun. I have the stock piece of wood from JEG.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Godawgs, I had the same problem on my JEG 687 topsigle/OU. I sent it to a gunsmith and it worked for about a year, and then the trigger wouldn't even drop the firing pin. Sent it to Coles, had a mechanical/conversion done. Never had a problem since. In my case the Soft Touch recoil system was changing the recoil characteristics of the gun so much that the inertia system would not work. In any event I highly suggest the mechanical conversion. Works great! J. Webb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts