Trapshooters Forum banner
61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just want to see that time piece in action !!!!
Go to the drag races … they’ve got the time piece you’re lookin’ for.

They use it all the time when one car goes five miles an hour faster than the other car and still loses the race. Why? Elapsed time…same thing with triggers and shot exiting the barrel. Physics!
If you don’t like that answer, buy a Rolex! LOL

·
Registered
249 Posts
I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but seconds and milliseconds are time, anything you measure them with is a time piece. I also believe you cannot move the barrel of a shotgun a 1/100 of an inch in a millisecond. Does anybody here actually realize how fast a millisecond is. I may be wrong, but isn't it a millionth of a second? Guys you can't even start to pull a trigger that fast, you can't blink that fast. I am not saying lock time doesn't matter, or does for that matter. I would just love to see the time piece that can measure something that fast.
This is what I have. (The picture is from the internet.) It measures the lock time -- the elapsed time from the moment the sear breaks to the moment the firing pin completes an electronic circuit. The circuit passes through a quartz crystal oscillator. The device can measure a lock time as fast as .3 milliseconds to within .1 millisecond accuracy. Jaburg is correct, a millisecond is 1,000th of a second. This picture does not show the electrode and clip that are needed to test lock-time.
Building Engineering Gas Machine Electric blue

·
Registered
441 Posts
Good looking time piece!!! I bet it is higher than Rolex !!! Thank you ktt for posting this. This modern technology sure has taken trapshooting to different level. Those guys that broke hundreds in the 1960's could have broke 2 or 3 extra targets if they would have had this technology and todays guns.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Does anyone know what time piece that can measure a millisecond or 1/2 a millisecond? I mean a small drop of oil or anything a microscopic piece of dust or even the humidity could change this measurement. In my opinion there is not a man alive that can tell the difference in this. I have shot 8 of the 9 guns above and in my opinion the triggers are very good on the first 6 mentioned, but none of them would give me a target in competition. I would still like to see the time piece and how pulling or releasing a trigger can matter in a millisecond or 2 or 3 or 4. The target leaves the arm of trap at 68 to 70 fps and we shoot a 1250 fps shell at it. I mean how far could the target travel in a millisecond.
We have electronic equipment that can measurement all that. Jim ***** at Precision Gold Triggers had equipment he used in the manufacturing process that would measure set pressure, release pressure and yes, lock time and plot it all on a graph.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Ever watch pro level drag racing. The drivers reaction times to the Christmas tree are in the thousands of a second all day long.
First, they are anticipating the green, second, thousandths vs milliseconds is quite different, third, lock time still has no effect on POI.

MOI of a given gun, setting off a super light pull before ready, those can certainly affect how the shot works out. But they have nothing to do with a faster or slower lock time affecting POI or leads.

·
Registered
28,274 Posts
First, they are anticipating the green, second, thousandths vs milliseconds is quite different, third, lock time still has no effect on POI.

MOI of a given gun, setting off a super light pull before ready, those can certainly affect how the shot works out. But they have nothing to do with a faster or slower lock time affecting POI or leads.
milliseconds ARE thousandths.

You guys are blind. And piss ignorant.

·
Premium Member
7,422 Posts

Green light is no different than target exit.

Milliseconds are 1/1000th of a second.

Yes it most certainly does effect required POI.

You've correctly answered what your disputing but then continue to dispute it!

61 - 80 of 118 Posts