Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While recently getting fitted for a new Trap gun I was told it had a faster lock time on the trigger and because of that I should raise my POI over what I usually shoot. Not sure I understand that but a quicker lock time to me would imply a lower POI. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
397 Posts
The theory is a quicker lock time sends your shot sooner, which lowers the POI because you have effectively shortened your gun move.

You are going to have to test your new gun anyway, so I would start out with the setup you are used to.

Personally, I don’t think there is enough difference in lock times to drastically change your POI. Otherwise, you’d shoot behind everything too. However, the overall feel and sight picture of your new gun WILL have an effect and trigger feel may play into that.

·
Premium Member
7,422 Posts
The nanosecond difference in any lock time is not going to change your POI. More likely to have a difference with weather, sunlight, etc.
If that is true, then why do the majority of people that transfer into a Seitz for the first time require a higher POI to achieve similar or increase their target breaking performance?

·
Premium Member
7,422 Posts
The theory is a quicker lock time sends your shot sooner, which lowers the POI because you have effectively shortened your gun move.

You are going to have to test your new gun anyway, so I would start out with the setup you are used to.

Personally, I don’t think there is enough difference in lock times to drastically change your POI. Otherwise, you’d shoot behind everything too. However, the overall feel and sight picture of your new gun WILL have an effect and trigger feel may play into that.
They do consistently shoot behind too. Watch someone shooting a Seitz for the first time.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
If that is true, then why do the majority of people that transfer into a Seitz for the first time require a higher POI to achieve similar or increase their target breaking performance?
I've only shot a seitz once so I can't remember...but are they slower/smoother/heavier swinging guns?
(Not saying that's bad, just that it would account for a change in swing)
I thought I remember them being heavier.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have never really noticed the trigger creep/lock time until I just got my Devault Mach One. I have a Berretta 687 EELL and Model 12 Trap that have been both worked on and a Browning XT. I have had a Ljutic in the past as well. The XT trigger was like a H&R trigger compared to my 687 and Model 12.
And now with the Mach One, it makes the 687 and Model 12 seem like a H&R trigger when comparing the trigger creep/crispness. I surely have noticed a difference when I go between the 3 of them that I never existed before. I have noticed that my lead has seemed to have shortened due to this.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Shoot the best tuned Remington 1100 trigger you can find and then shoot a decent Perazzi trigger and let me know what you think.
Good triggers are not the topic. Of course the very high end guns enjoy crisper pulls that stay consistent for a long time…….

But a few fractions of a millisecond are undetectable by us humans, and certainly have zip to do with lead on any target, much less trap targets.

·
Registered
28,274 Posts
Good triggers are not the topic. Of course the very high end guns enjoy crisper pulls that stay consistent for a long time…….

But a few fractions of a millisecond are undetectable by us humans, and certainly have zip to do with lead on any target, much less trap targets.
Might be undetectable by “us humans” but targets know the difference.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts