Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is true... this happened to me today.

In Colorado, i was told the instant background check system is now a six day wait. There were over 12,000 applications in the queue ahead of me.

Luckily this shop has an electronic filing system. Most others dial up on a phone and have to wait on hold ... if they hang up or get disconnected I guess they lose their place in line and start over, or try again in a week

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On March 19, 2020, Breitbart News reported National Shooting Sports Foundation numbers showing gun sales in the U.S. had jumped 300 percent above where they were at the same point in time last year. Thereafter, various Federal Firearm License holders (FFLs) contacted Breitbart News to talk of calling into the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Checks (NICS) to do a background check for a pending sale, only to be placed on hold for hours and/or, in some cases, to have the line disconnected.An FFL from a western state told Breitbart News he has a stack of background checks forms–ATF form 4473–already filled out by customers who came into the store to purchase firearms during the sales surge. The FFL arrives at store early in the morning and places a call to the FBI NICS number simply to be placed in the queue, and once he is talking to someone he runs as many of the background checks as he can before being disconnected.
An FFL in a southern state told a similar story after having so many struggles with NICS that he thought the background check system had simply been shut down.

·
Registered
31,660 Posts
  1. Default Proceed: When a National Instant Criminal Background Check System check cannot be completed electronically (5% of all checks), the FBI must identify and contact state and local law enforcement officials. The Brady act allows the FBI three business days to complete a background check. If the check cannot be completed within three business days, the sale or transfer may be completed although potentially disqualifying information might exist in the NICS. The dealer is not required to complete the sale and the FBI will continue to review the case for two more weeks. If the FBI discovers disqualifying information after three business days, they will contact the dealer to determine whether or not the gun was transferred under the "default proceed" rule.

2. The Brady Bill and Background Checks for Gun Buyers

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx Rick... actually I read a few contradicting statements in that paragraph ... the dealer may complete the sale... and... the dealer is not required to complete the sale. So, dealers choice?

Anyway, the FFLs I know are going to hold the gun until the application clears regardless of how long it takes.

·
Registered
31,660 Posts
Dealer always has a choice, it one business they may discriminate against selling something to some one and not be punished for it,

·
Registered
13,897 Posts
By Federal law, after 3 days, the dealer MAY release the gun if no reply to a "delay" has been given ("may" NOT "has to").

State laws are beginning to vary widely as are the rules at some national chains such as Walmart.

In NY the dealer must wait 30 days before they may release the gun if no reply is given to a delay. The problem with this is the NICS check is only good for 30 days. This means that you must return ON the 30th day if no reply is given or you have to start over from scratch as that check would be void after 30 days. Fun ain't it.

It sounds like most of the background checks aren't even making it to the actual "check" part, they are just piling up in a virtual "in box", meaning a "delay" response hasn't been given, so as far as I know none of the above would even apply. I don't believe there is a provision if the background check can't even be initiated.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,300 Posts
In Oregon a small dealer close to home indicated that there were 1300 statewide requests in process in the internet-based system at that moment on a weekday.

Mike

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I’m thinking about getting my grandson fitted up with a BT-99 midas or micro Midas. Gonna just wait until all this BS is over with. I’m not going through all that HS over a BT-99. If the world sells out of bt’s it going to get interesting.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
If you have your CCW permit they don’t have to call in to the hotline. I never wait for a back ground check. It’s one benefit of carring one.
Please provide documentation to this as it must be a local/State law. The only benefit a CCW historically provides in Virginia is freedom from the one handgun a month law that the libs are reintroducing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Please provide documentation to this as it must be a local/State law. The only benefit a CCW historically provides in Virginia is freedom from the one handgun a month law that the libs are reintroducing.
In North Dakota there is no limit on pistols or long guns. I could walk in and get five guns if I wanted along with 10,000 rounds of ammo. I know I just bought a new 9mm. I walked in filled out the form showed them my DL and driver lic. They make copies of them I walk out five minutes later with 500 rounds. It’s easy here.

·
Registered
233 Posts
In North Dakota there is no limit on pistols or long guns. I could walk in and get five guns if I wanted along with 10,000 rounds of ammo. I know I just bought a new 9mm. I walked in filled out the form showed them my DL and driver lic. They make copies of them I walk out five minutes later with 500 rounds. It’s easy here.
Same in Nebraska.

Fill out 4473, present DL and CCW. Done.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've done 6 transfers in the last couple days. Last Monday, 3/16, I was on hold for over 2hrs, the cue said the wait time would be 50 minutes. On 3/17, the cue said 40 mins and I was on hold for just over an hour. Friday, the 20th, cue said 15 mins. and I waited about 20 minutes with the same experience on Monday the 23rd. This is through NICS as Indiana's CCL is not acceptable to do a transfer. Each state has it's own set of regulations as pointed out above. For example, Illinois processes their checks through the State police so their results may vary from yours.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
In Missouri you do not have to obtain a CCP to carry concealed anymore. You can still obtain one if you wish but is not required. The 4473 must be processed up to the point of obtaining a NICS number and a disposition. If it is delayed then the three business day rule applies and if not approved or otherwise disposition by then the firearm can be turned over to the buyer. I have had them come back a couple of weeks later with the approval. If they would come back denied then the sheriff goes and retrieves the firearm. BTW, we are having long waits and disconnects here also. Regards, Bob

1 - 20 of 58 Posts