Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide whether to attend a clinic this spring in NJ ,knowing the strict gun laws and driving a SUV it seems to be difficult to be legal. Correct me if I am wrong. Gun cased ammo must be locked I will need about two flats of ammo presents issues.
I am traveling from Pa. does any one have personal experience in NJ.

Thanks Joe

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
I too live in PA and often travel to NJ to shoot.

Never really had a problem - Keep gun in case (broken down is better), ammo boxed, etc. - farther from your access is better.

That being said - NO HOLLOW POINT ammo - no high cap mags - quite honestly unless you are shooting pistols at the match - leave them home.

Get rid of anything that says "shooter" - stickers, hitch plugs, etc. - you want to be incognito as best you can. Best to cover anything shooting related so there is no visibility.

If you do get pulled over - well, it all depends on the officer involved - some a great some are true AH's. With no visibility there is no probable cause so they would be less likely to want to search your vehicle.]

I provide a link above to handgun laws for NJ - lots of good info there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mac, two flats of ammo, I'm assuming shotgun. I think there is more concern about hand guns. I travel to Pa. to shoot weekly from NJ. I do lock the gun case. Probably depends on the mood of the officer stopping you. Not sure of the technical law. I think you'll be okay if the gun case is locked.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Try to contact the people offering the clinic and ask for a receipt showing the location, dates, and sponsoring organization. Keep you gun (s) in a locked device . Ammo must be in a locked container away from the gun, If I go to a shoot I have a HD black plastic storage container with a hinged top. I drilled two holes and use two master locks, one at each end. That is if I go put of state, especially NY where we have a summer camp. In NJ I keep my ammo in those shells boxes you can buy at Dicks or online. Obey the speed laws and don't give them a reason to go out of their way to stop you. Also, keep the registration papers for the gun and any firearm ID cards that you have on your possession while traveling. You can always ask the clinic sponsors if they will have ammo available or befriend a NJ shooter who could/would sell you some of his new ammo as the last resort.

With the latest change in firearm laws, which differ from state to state, it has become a hassle for legal citizens, but a " who the hell cares" for crooks, that are trying to figure them out. "

Good luck as I am still trying

Rich

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'm also in Penna. and go over to shoot in NJ. Never gave it too much thought. I just keep my target guns cased up on the back seat of cab and shotshells, vest, cart and other incidentals under a tunneu cover in the bed.

I just keep a better mind and eye out for driving safer, at speed limits or under them. I won't drink (alcohol) while I'm there also. I just bring a cooler with my own stuff.

Enjoy yourself there are some nice places to shoot in NJ.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NJ State Police Firearms Information

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:
•Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

•The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

·
Registered
356 Posts
No Bob, we are not wimps, as much as dupes, thinking that those that we elect will vote our wishes and rights and not cave to media pressure and reelection strategy. Criminals could give a d..n about laws, but a law enforcement officer does and will enforce them on anyone who challenges or breaks them. Just as easy to keep it legal, than have an attitude of " hell, I'll show them I can do what I want". I like my guns and want and plan to keep them. During the summer I travel between NY, PA, MD, Va, and NJ. I would like one set of laws that I could interpret and follow.

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts