Trapshooters Forum banner

"Trapshooting's Capital of the World"

4K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  fcfacp 
#1 ·
#4 ·
It was, and still is, an amazing cartridge that spent many years as a non-factory round until it was adopted and made legit by Remington in the mid 60’s. It was chambered by Browning before it was made official by Remington. The 22-250 Remington squeezed every bit of velocity out of a .22 caliber from the powder available then by hand loaders. It’s still wildly popular and for good reason. I’ve sent thousands of prairie dogs to the promised land with several that I’ve owned.

#8 ·
MX8,
Did a little research, 22-250 developed in 1937, a true wildcat cartridge and not available as a production gun until 1963 when Browning offered it.
The ad I saw was for a barreled action.
That was my first varmit gun in a Model 70 about 1967.
In those days you could drive the country roads and shoot out the window of the vehicle without anyone getting upset about it.

#11 ·
MX8,
Did a little research, 22-250 developed in 1937, a true wildcat cartridge and not available as a production gun until 1963 when Browning offered it.
The ad I saw was for a barreled action.
That was my first varmit gun in a Model 70 about 1967.
In those days you could drive the country roads and shoot out the window of the vehicle without anyone getting upset about it.
It was originally called the 22 Varminter. Then it was named the 22-250. Ihave 2 Ithaca Tikka 22-250's I am thinking about parting with one, maybe both. There are no 4 legged woodchucks in Florida.

#15 ·
Here 'ya go :)

#21 · (Edited)
Drew sure posts some interesting stuff about the history of our sport. It helps us appreciate where we came ffrom.

I have a great story about a beautiful custom 22-250. A man at work bought one, I believe it was at auction. Old school custom, bluing as deep and smooth as a mirror. Wood detail and finishing that would be welcome on the finest musical instrument. He decided I would at least take it and shoot it one time. Picked up ammo, it would not fit. Went back and tried a different brand, it would not fit either.

Took the rifle to a local gunsmith named Penrod. The gunsmith looked it over and asked a bunch of questions. Turned out his grandfather had built that rifle before the 22.250 was a factory caliber. The wildcat dimensions were slightly different. He was proud to ream the chamber to modern commercial specifications.

Firearms are one of a few things that have multi generational appreciation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.