Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife is finally open to leaving the rotten State of New York. We have some friends in the Hilton Head/Savannah area so that was an early choice. When I looked around there were very few options for trap shooting. Those clubs that offered trap have 2-3 year waiting lists (you also need to be sponsored by a member). Trap shooting is not everything in our lives, but it is something we find enjoyable for 1-2 times a week.

Has anyone spent time in the Southeast (NC, SC, GA or FL) that might have some recommendations on where we should be looking? Florida is attractive due to their lack of a state income tax but I would be remiss If we were not worried about sinkholes, alligators, pythons and repressive heat/humidity.

Thank you in advance for all the help!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yins ever consider Kentucky or Tennessee ?
I'm pretty sure them boys shoot trap...

No gators either !!! LOL
We have thought of other places. Our first choices (those in SE) were always based being around others we know. The thought was to give the mrs a bit of a support group since NY has been home for 54 years.

Reactions: phatkaw

·
Registered
33 Posts
Partridge Creek near Ridgeville SC (near Charleston), and Mid-Carolina Gun Club near Orangeburg SC, both have trap and skeet that are very active.

Also, if you belong to one, there is a reciprocal agreement on fees with the other.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
We have lots, we’ll we used to, places to shoot trap in KY but seems we are, what some call, a Midwest state. All of our clubs will eventually open back up.
Good luck on your move, not an easy thing to do after 54 years.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you are headed for the Southeast, it's going to be hard to avoid the repressive heat and humidity. In Georgia there are basically 4 places to shoot registered targets: Tom Lowe in Atlanta; South River in Covington; Cherokee in Gainesville; and Robins AFB in Warner Robins. A few other clubs have trap fields but they don't get used much. Forrest City in Savannah is a beautiful facility with lots of trap fields but it is very private. I'm sure that's the one you were referencing.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
If you come to FL and you want to shoot serious trap, IMO, you will need to be in the central-southern part of the state as registered trap in north FL is dead.

Personally, as a "born and raised" FL boy who has lived here for 66 years, that in itself makes it unappealing. You can have everything south of Ocala.

Also, IMO, somewhere between Ocala and Orlando, they need to divide the state into two totally different states and make a North FL and a South FL such as the Carolinas and the Dakotas as the needs of southern parts of FL are very different than the needs of north FL.

This is probably going to piss off more than a few people, but it's the absolute truth.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
North Carolina has become a popular state for retirement. It's also great for trap shooting and sporting clays. There's an abundance of gun clubs in northeast NC. You're close to the ocean, a lot of beautiful wooded areas, moderate temperatures in summer and winter.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I was looking at the tri-state area of NC/SC/GA, quite a few gun clubs, some elevation, plenty of lakes.

Pat

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Tennesse, Fairfield Glade near Crossville. Beautiful place, two nice gun clubs (one brand new) within 5 miles, 5 golf courses, 11 stocked lakes, everything you could want in a retirement area, 4 mild seasons. I bought a condo there last fall. Look it up.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Partridge Creek near Ridgeville SC (near Charleston), and Mid-Carolina Gun Club near Orangeburg SC, both have trap and skeet that are very active.

Also, if you belong to one, there is a reciprocal agreement on fees with the other.
While living in SC for 5 years after the move out of NY, I would second these two places. Great facilities and wonderful people !

·
Banned
142 Posts
If you like the SC coast, look at Fripp Island or Harbor Island and Beaufort area. In the upstate, Greenville county is growing and beautiful. Spartanburg has trap, and Greenville. Cherokee gun club in GA has great monthly matches and is less than 2 hrs down I-85. The beach at Charleston is 3.5hrs away. The mountains and the infamous Chattooga river( in Deliverance) is less than 2hrs away. Great deer hunting and lakes too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you like NE Florida; Amelia Shotgun Sports throws registered (Big50) targets on Saturday mornings. The club is located in Yulee Florida just south of the GA state line, and north of Jacksonville. The trap field is open for practice during all open hours. Come on out!

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you like NE Florida; Amelia Shotgun Sports throws registered (Big50) targets on Saturday mornings. The club is located in Yulee Florida just south of the GA state line, and north of Jacksonville. The trap field is open for practice during all open hours. Come on out!
You will be welcome at any of our states here in the
Southeast.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are headed for the Southeast, it's going to be hard to avoid the repressive heat and humidity. In Georgia there are basically 4 places to shoot registered targets: Tom Lowe in Atlanta; South River in Covington; Cherokee in Gainesville; and Robins AFB in Warner Robins. A few other clubs have trap fields but they don't get used much. Forrest City in Savannah is a beautiful facility with lots of trap fields but it is very private. I'm sure that's the one you were referencing.
Forest City was one I saw. Seems like a really large place to be so restrictive. I feel like there would be no chance of ever getting in when I say......I am from New York, I do not know anyone here, but I would like to join LOL

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
North Carolina has become a popular state for retirement. It's also great for trap shooting and sporting clays. There's an abundance of gun clubs in northeast NC. You're close to the ocean, a lot of beautiful wooded areas, moderate temperatures in summer and winter.
Is the NE portion something like the town of RockyMount?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was looking at the tri-state area of NC/SC/GA, quite a few gun clubs, some elevation, plenty of lakes.

Pat
Did you ever decide on NC/SC or GA?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amelia looks like a great place! Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you come to FL and you want to shoot serious trap, IMO, you will need to be in the central-southern part of the state as registered trap in north FL is dead.

Personally, as a "born and raised" FL boy who has lived here for 66 years, that in itself makes it unappealing. You can have everything south of Ocala.

Also, IMO, somewhere between Ocala and Orlando, they need to divide the state into two totally different states and make a North FL and a South FL such as the Carolinas and the Dakotas as the needs of southern parts of FL are very different than the needs of north FL.

This is probably going to piss off more than a few people, but it's the absolute truth.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!
Here in Western New York most of us feel the same way. There is NY City and the "REST of NY." Every economic/political decision is based on what is best for NY City and not the state. New York was in debt (6+ Billion) way before the virus. The debt load after all this is done will be unbearable for those that remain.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts