Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it's not really old history, but goes back to the Las Vegas Gun Club that preceded the current facility in Las Vegas.

I found this recently while cleaning up in the reloading room. I got this at their Fall Handicap in 2007, and was significant because it was the 1/2 yard that got me to the 27.

Maybe a lot of clubs gave these out back in the day, but I've never seen or received anything similar at any other club.

1-LVGC-001.jpg

·
5,388 Posts
Fond recollection of the couple times I shot practice there, while visiting family... green targets over an open sandy background...

Thanks for reminding me...
Jay

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
OK, it's not really old history, but goes back to the Las Vegas Gun Club that preceded the current facility in Las Vegas.

I found this recently while cleaning up in the reloading room. I got this at their Fall Handicap in 2007, and was significant because it was the 1/2 yard that got me to the 27.

Maybe a lot of clubs gave these out back in the day, but I've never seen or received anything similar at any other club.

View attachment 333185
almost as good as my flyswatter trophy from the Tulsa gun club.

jack mc

·
Registered
875 Posts
The Cardinal Center used to give yardsticks for added yardage. Not sure why they stopped. Neat idea.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
Didn't Vegas have some big dollar winter shoots in the 80's/90's? I remember a lot of local guys flying out there every year.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I can remember getting a yard stick from THE GUN CLUB when they held the Golden West Grand.
Thats before it moved to Sage Hill just outside Reno.

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
Didn't Vegas have some big dollar winter shoots in the 80's/90's? I remember a lot of local guys flying out there every year.
Both the Mint Gun Club and Bob Taylors Club had big money in the 70's n into the 80's while both were in operation. In fact Taylor would throw 100 handicap during the Mints days that you could run over and shoot as well. Then he'd throw a 5-6 day shoot of his own.

Remember a 25 in handicap I had one year at Taylors that paid $816.25. Bonillas n I were the only ones to run it. Of course that was back in the day they were split 60/40 and $10 per 100. Had $2000 plus 47, $2-3 thousand 48. Hope that gives n idea. Brads your best local source of info.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Mint had $28,000 added money ... $14,000 split between two yardage groups. A group of us flew out every year in February. I won $1,100 for a 50 in the options.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Roadking ... That was a lot of money in those days!

All the Big Dogs would show up for the big money, and the rest of us would try to win a few bucks.

Lost of memories from there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Big dogs were all there! It was always windy. Britt Robinson would hits targets from the 27 before I would even see them. Big boys shot live pigeons after the day's events. I just watched, as I knew I was just going to lose my money. Guess I should have shot them, as I JUST LOST THE $$ at the tables.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
Back "In the DAY" There was a lot of money in trapshooting as the above mentioned post point out. Now The BIG Shoots don't even come CLOSE to the amounts seen back then and now the Grand has NO ADDED MONEY!! It was a better time and sadly I doubt if we will ever see those days again! :02:

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
I remember Bob Taylor's shoot one year. Dan won 2 cars that weekend. Guess he took the money instead. They were tough shooting in those days

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Took the money?? Hmmm I remember clubs offering cars usually had a separate option to play/participate. The club took out an insurance policy to cover the cost of the car. The option receipts had to cover the insurance premium. If no one won the car, then the club was out only the insurance premium only. If the car was won, the insurance policy paid off the car price. Seems to me if you won the car, that's what you get, otherwise the club would be out that value of that car. Perhaps you could accept the balance of the option money above and beyond the insurance premium, for your winnings.

Been awhile but that's the way I remember it .... in 1969 I bought a new Chevy Malibu SS 396 for about $3,900, not today's $50,000+. You could cover $4,000 in those days.

Dusty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts