Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you think a Caesar Gerini 32 inch barrels with an adjustable rib and comb or a browning XT with 30 inch barrels and an adjustable comb would be for shooting Sporting Clays?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: I think they would do fine. I use my 682 trap gun for sporting. I just change the comb to suit each game. I like the high rib guns. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
You certainly can. And I know a few people did that with fairly ok results. But for me it's more like racing on a winding road with full size SUV.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I shoot my XT for sporting clays and normally end up doing much better on sporting clays than trap doubles. I seem to struggle in shooting skeet with my XT, I prefer a pump gun for that game.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I shoot clays with an XS Special with high post rib and adjustable comb. The high post rib is about the same height as the XT trap rib.

Danny

·
Registered
484 Posts
You should be fine with either gun you mentioned. The trend nowadays in sporting clays guns is moving toward highter ribs & adjustable combs so the difference in some clays guns & a trap O/U can be pretty minimal. John

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
If I don't use my GTI's ..the CG Maxum and my DT10 or 682Gold O/U's work just dandy..I actually prefer the trap guns for long bird courses

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I use a 682 trap gun for shooting sporting clays. I do pretty well with it. The 682 is my backup for trap. When I shoot trap I just add 2 nylon washers on each post to raise POI. When shooting sporting I take the spacers out. Works great. Good luck. Ed

·
Registered
909 Posts
Unless you change the rib/comb for each game, if you float the bird for trap you'll need to float it for SCs. If you shoot flat for SCs, you'll need to shoot flat for Trap.

When I use my Impact for all games I have a settings card in the case that reminds me on what notch to set the rib for the different games. I simply crank it up or down as needed.

When I had a dedicated Trap gun with high rib and trap stock, I couldn't get it to shoot a low enough POI for me for SCs. So I sold it and got the Impact.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i have been shooting a trap gun for sporting since the late 90's.

to Redcobra's point you have to learn where they shoot, just like any other gun.

.....the extra weight will help you more than hurt, especially on a long course.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Not sure about the Browning but the CG with adjustable rib and comb should work fine as long as both barrels shoot the same POI and the gun is set to shoot 50/50 to handle dropping targets, chandelles, rabbits, etc. Also if you shoot a high rib/comb in "gun-down" position, overhead tower shots and fast rabbits will take more practice to master with that set up.

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
mx, What makes you think everyone needs 50/50 for dropping targets when trapshooter's POI vary from 50/50 to 120%?

I do just fine on dropping targets with a 80/20 - 90/10 POI on sporting.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I use the same POI for all my shotgunning - trap, sporting clays or hunting. Installed monte carlo or adjustable combs on all my 1187 and 1100 stocks, all set to the same height.

One difference is I use a lighter barrel for sporting clays than trap. My trap barrel is factory backbored, so the most open the choke can get is mod. And being heavier, it doesn't "jink" around as easily for the second bird. The light contour barrel works better.

Why use the same buttstock style and POI for all my shotgunning? Because my miss count went up with different buttstocks.

I'm not using a very high POI. About 60/40.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Setter, trap targets are always rising so a higher POI provides a certain amount of built in lead. Do you shoot dropping targets in Trap? I shoot a 50/50 POI because I like to put the pattern where I'm aiming/leading...not where I think my gun will most likely place the pattern on a given target presentation.

I'm not sure how many Master Class sporting clays shooters consistently win with guns that shoot 120% above point of aim at 30 yards. I certainly respect your "Kentucky Windage" mastery.

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
mk, I didn't say I shoot 120% on sporting.(I do on trap, but that's a moot point) I said I shoot 80/20 to 90/10.

A shooters perception of the target determines the POI, not what someone else shoots.

I shoot a flat rib MX 8, a MX10/3 and a Guerini Maxum Impact subgauge set. 2 have adjustable ribs set at the same POI as my MX 8, so I always see the same target relationship. I don't float anything purposely. Even tower birds and rabbits are shot by looking at 'em. I don't adjust or "float" any target.

Don't assume everyone shoots or sees the target like you.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Not assuming anything. The OP wanted advice on using a trap gun for sporting clays. If a 50/50 gun is not a good choice, I would like to know your thoughts on why you would recommend a gun that when adjusted, puts its pattern 90% high as a good choice for a sporting clays shooter. What advantages does this set up have? How will it improve your performance on all target presentations? Why does throwing 90% of your pattern above your point of aim work well on a crossing Mini? (I already know the "Indian vs. Arrow" and "use the Force Luke" boilerplate.)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
mx2k33, I think your making quite a few assumptions. You are assuming because you shoot a 50/50 gun for Sporting then that must be what works well for everyone else?? I shoot a gun that shoots 100% high and that is what works for me. Now that is how my gun patterns on a patterning board, but shooting all I do is focus on the target?? If I had a crossing mini I would mount on the base of it pull away and shoot, Or I might let it pass my barrel come through it and pull the trigger all depends. I am not consciously putting the barrel a certain amount under the target, I focus on the target and shoot.

That is awesome that you have found what works for you, but you are wrong to assume that is what works for anyone else. I shoot with some great shooters, some shoot flat shooting guns, some shoot 80%, some shoot 90%. We all see things different.

Bryce

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bryce, I was giving the OP what I think is the best advice for setting up a sporting clays gun, advice that most other master class shooters and instructors also give. The advice is based on giving the shooter the fewest variables to overcome or adjust to, after all that pattern is nearly 100% FURTHER OFF where the shooter is "aiming".

I still haven't seen an explanation on why a gun that shoots so high is a good choice for sporting clays. Why is a 90% high gun a good choice?....forget what I shoot. If the shooter finds that for some reason a properly functioning 50/50 gun just won't cut it, why would raising the pattern 100% be the remedy for consistent scores on all targets? Maybe a physical/vision issue?? Do you know any top SC tournament winners who shoot/recommend 90-100% high gun?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
To be honest I am really not sure how else to explain it to you. Everyone sees thing differently. My gun shoots, 100% high on paper, when I am shooting a target I focus on the target and shoot. To me it looks like my barrel is a hair under the target, but that is just how my eyes see it while shooting.

It does not matter if it is a trap target, a teal a dropping target a rabbit. I just focus on the target and the shot goes where it needs to go. I agree people to need to find what works for them and a higher shooting gun might not work just like a 50/50 gun might not work. It really is pretty simple.

Like I said I know quite a few really good sporting clays shooters who shoot a higher shooting gun. I took lessons from Bobby Fowler who at the time was shooting 70/30. Gebben Miles

It is not a matter of POI on a patterning board it is whether the shot is going where it is intended to go. I asked Jon Kruger what POI he shoots, he said he had no idea he just looks at the target. Does he shoot high or flat it doesn't matter he hits targets. I would swear my gun shot 60/40 if you would have asked me 2 weeks ago, I actually just put it on paper last week and found it shot a pattern high. I would have never know.

Please see quote below from Anthony Matarese
"When I look down the gun I can see the entire rib. If I had a center bead there would actually be rib between the center bead and the bead at the end of the barrel.

I would say that my gun shoots about 60/40. If your gun is a little high it will never hurt your shooting. However, a gun that is a little low will hurt your scores. With a higher gun you should be able to see that targets clearer. In my opinion many people shoot guns that are too low, and most gunfitters set up guns to shoot 50/50.

I can tell you that many top shooters shoot a gun that shoots higher than 50/50."

I can tell you if he see's all his rib on a 391 it would be closer to 70/30 or 80/20. It really doesn't matter, I hope you get the point.

Bryce

1 - 20 of 34 Posts