Trapshooters Forum banner

Trap vs Sporting

4999 Views 42 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  Greasewood
what is the difference between a Trap gun and a Sporting gun?
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
609 Posts
Generally speaking, Visually a Trap has a Montecarlo stock, Beaver tail forearm and a high rib. Sporting has a tapered stock, Euro forearm and lower rib.
Trap targets are rising, a lot of folks like to be able to adjust so that the bird is always in sight 60/40 and greater pattern. Sporting targets go all over the place. Usually a flatter shooting gun is a little easier to get on the variations in flight.
My humble opinion.

· Banned
2,714 Posts
A Sporting gun typically has a 32” or sometimes a 30” barrel in OU configuration. POI is usually a bit lower at about 60/40. A good number of the targets are dropping, so some drop at heel is more favorable. That’s really about it.
Nothing about the difference in grip to accommodate the limp wrists?

· Banned
2,714 Posts
I don't know about the guns, but the target setters are different. Trap setters try to make the birds consistent, thus easier. Yet some still suck. Sporting target setters try to purposely make you miss. and some are pretty damn good at it, so yah they suck too!
You are right. For ATA, the rulebook dictates target setting. Sure, like you said, it can get screwed but they have guidelines.

In sporting, it depends on how butthurt the setter wants to make the shooters. Sporting clays is like LGBT BDSM of the clay shooting world.

· Registered
184 Posts
Trapshooting requires a lot more complaining and lack of physical effort. You must grumble and mumble when approaching the line, bitch about the guy next to you shooting an auto, gripe about the targets being off 1.5 degrees and how t took you from 25 to a 17. Most important, always and I mean always complain about the cost of Targets ( even if free ).

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,590 Posts
Trapshooting requires a lot more complaining and lack of physical effort. You must grumble and mumble when approaching the line, bitch about the guy next to you shooting an auto, gripe about the targets being off 1.5 degrees and how t took you from 25 to a 17. Most important, always and I mean always complain about the cost of Targets ( even if free ).
And you can't talk on the line except to call for a target or the trap keeps spitting out targets but you can blow a duck call and laugh as loud as you want when your squad mates miss on a sporting station and they'll laugh right along with you....same in skeet. But I still mostly shoot trap. I prefer having more excuses for my misses! LOL

· Banned
2,714 Posts
And you can't talk on the line except to call for a target or the trap keeps spitting out targets but you can blow a duck call and laugh as loud as you want when your squad mates miss on a sporting station and they'll laugh right along with you....same in skeet. But I still mostly shoot trap. I prefer having more excuses for my misses! LOL
That's because sporties and skeeters don't want to ruin their chances of dating later.

· Registered
13,510 Posts
The only difference in every sporting to trap shotgun I know of is the forearm design. In Trap its always a semi-beavertail forend. While in Sporting Clays its always a Schnabel forend.

Most sporting guns have a 60/40 POI, but so do most of the trap shotguns on the market. Some may want to add the MC stock to the list of difference's? But I've seen many sporting guns that come with a MC stock, and a adjustable rib to boot!!! So when you really get down to it!!! The only real difference is in the forend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, maybe a few oz.'s of weight. Trap shotguns tend to run a bit heavier than sporting guns. I expect this has to do with the much faster target presentations found in sporting clay's!!! don't forget to break em all jeff

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.