Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a hunter my whole life and I am new to sport shooting and this forum and was noticing on this site and at the club I am affiliated with that there seems to be a tension between skeet and trap shooters, why? At first I was thinking, aren't we all shooting at a orange and black target? Then over the last few days I started to consider that maybe it's just guys harassing each other for fun, so I am a little confused just because some of the comments I have heard and read don't sound like joking, or maybe I am just reading into it the wrong way.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
That is like comparing Picante Sauce made in Texas, to one made in New York City.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Skeet shooters are the ones having more fun and tend to wear smaller size clothing, even if it is pink. All in fun - go break the targets in all disciplines.
Game Warden

·
Registered
742 Posts
It's all pulling the trigger and making things blow up. Have a good time at every opportunity you get.

To my mind, skeet shooters are to trap shooters what pistol shooters are to rifle shooters - more chatty, more gregarious. There are some very serious trap and rifle shooters who want you to know how serious they really are.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I have noticed skeet shooters going into those little houses....in pairs..just an observation. Dont know if you have to do this. Trap shooters stay outdoors or in the bar. Bill

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
If you watch them on the fields as they ply their sport, you will notice that skeet shooters swing both ways...

-

huntinjoe, I actually agree with you 100% - If it has a trigger, I'll pull it - pistol, rifle, shotgun - regardless of the target (paper, clay, game).

Just look at the NYC run on shotguns (excuse me - the high capacity assault shotguns) - as Franklin said "If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately."

·
Registered
752 Posts
huntinjoe,

I've always had a problem with the "good-natured ribbing" about the individual shotgun sports, and I personally feel that it does NO good, and gives fodder to the "Anti-Gun folks" when they see that even our own groups can't get along. I shoot registered skeet, trap and sporting clays as well as bunker trap when I can and about any clay-target sport you can shoot with a shotgun. Our club has "South Texas Fun Shoots" where to be a top competitor, you need to be good at ALL the disciplines, so go out and don't listen to the nay-sayers, just have fun and try to be a POSITIVE person and maybe turn some of these negative people around !!!

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
kicker,

Regular panties or thongs??

·
Banned
331 Posts
huntinjoe, you will find that most trap shooters tried skeet, found it way too
difficult and went back to shooting trap. At least thats what I've been told by
all of the skeet shooters. Another thing that you might notice is, as the Game
Warden so politely indicated, most trap shoot are large overweight old fa--s.
If you want to have fun, load up some 1/2oz 410's and go shoot skeet on a windy
day (for money). Be sure to invite some trap shooters.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Yada yada......Powerboats vs sail, Harleys VS Jap bikes, trap vs skeet, etc.

It's a bunch of hooey perpetuated by a need to feel superior due to insecurity.

Might go back to a Mommy (Oedipus) complex.

HM

·
Registered
909 Posts
Since I lost 125lbs. I can't shoot Trap anymore. However, at my last Skeet outing I tripped over my skirt.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Here are my own personal observation on both the Skeet and Trap target sports.

Skeet:

Very hard to be GOOD at initially then fairly quick to Master (once you understand the leads).

Certainly a lot more conducive to talking and joking around while shooting skeet, more social.

Windy days are Fun and looked forward to by good skeet shooters as it presents a challenge.

Guns are typically field or sporting guns.

Not as specialized guns as in trap however a lot more fancy and engraved guns in skeet and certainly a lot more gauges shoot with lighter loads.

Release triggers are just about unheard of.

Typical skeet shooter is not as technical as the trap shooter. Concept of Point of Impact is Foreign to most Skeeters.

Most common remark.. "You Stopped the Gun", "Behind it", "Over It", "give me that one again"

Trap:

Easy to be GOOD at initially then very long time to Master or become consistent (if ever).

Not conducive to talking and joking around on the line while shooting trap.

Windy days are somewhat fun but in general if presentations are not good, trappers adjust the trap.

More specialized guns in trap, adjustable everything, 12 gauge rules.

Release triggers are somewhat common with seasoned trap shooters.

Trap shooters are picky about their components and loads. Just about all trap shooters understand their gun's Point of Impact and can relate this to you in Percent or Inches, if they cannot then they are NOT serious trap shooters. (kiddin)

Most common remark… "Pull ", "Howda Do?", "Lifted my head", "Did not see it well", "Behind It", "I hate straight-aways"

Your experiences may vary… but probably not by much.

Art

1 - 20 of 72 Posts