Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any trap shooters have any suggestions shooting with diabetes. So far I have not had any problems.The heat and humidity has always bothered me. Cheers RR Parks

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Try to keep your eating schedule regular, and have some snacks available. I regulate my blood sugar with diet. Mark

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have Type II and take medication and try to watch my diet and I watch exercise shows. I lost about 15 pounds since last year but I like my beer etc. I know it's my problem and at 72 I don't get upset at too much stuff. If I can continue to shoot trap twice a weekand keep seeing the target I'll be happy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have type II and have too eat a little slim jim or part of a gummy bar between each 25 or my brain and body don't cooperate with each other. I control my blood sugar by diet alone. I am normally now at about 100 but when I shoot I have to be about 130

·
Registered
441 Posts
Am in late 70's. Type 2 on insulin. Been on it for several years.
Let my readings get a little higher than normal when shooting.
DON'T want it to get too low. Carry Relion glucose tablets that contain
4 mg carb and 4 mg sugar. Buy at Wallyworld. Take one between 25's.
Stopped alcohol few years ago. Alcohol and diabetes don't mix - alcohol wins.
Drink PLENTY water when weather hot.
Eyesight good since cataract surgery.
Diabetes a bad dude but can be lived with if watch what we eat.

Doyal

·
Registered
589 Posts
Dave P;

"I WATCH EXERCISE SHOWS" That is the greatest line I have ever heard. LMAO

I have type 2 and take medication for control. Hot weather can be a real challenge. Hydration and small snacks through the day seem to work best for me.

Ken

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm going to have to remember some of these tips. Recently got back into shooting and I've noticed that after a few rounds I get those low blood sugar shakes.

Anyone know why this happens? I can go and walk 2-3 miles and not have the same reaction that 3-4 rounds will have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Diet (menu) in the morning and during the shoot is critical to keep your eyes working good. I follow a very specific menu throughout the day, with no heavy amounts. Small steady intake throughout the day of items that do not spike my sugar level. Scores go up when I do this.

·
Registered
133 Posts
G'day fella's, I am 71+ and Type II Diabetic on insulin 3/day and meds 2xday. I try to keep up sugar levels up between rounds w/- lollies and sports drinks in summer. Had quad Bypass Feb last year and Bowel tumour removed June last year, just getting back into shooting trap/skeet/sporting after 6 months chemo.
Keep hydrated and sugars up I am down under in OZ

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Whether you are diabetic or not, you need to hydrate your eyes to have your best vision. That doesn't mean you drink alot just on the day you're shooting, that means you drink alot on all the days between shoots plus the days you are shooting. When our bodies start to dry out, it is the eyes that dry up first, dry eyes are not as sharp as they could be. YOU CAN'T BREAK WHAT YOU CAN'T SEE.
Keep your eating habits as normal as possible, especially at a big shoot that is held over several days. Also keep your sleeping habits the same. "You can't soar with the eagles if you hoot with the owls", said Leo.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I have Type II and I begin hydrating myself two days before a shoot starts when it's warm. Last summer I only became ill once. Too much water is still not enough! Bananas work for potassium and no soda.

blade819

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I have type II diabetes and take medication for it. I eat a good breakfast and eat light but often at shoots. High sugar blurs my vision and I shake if it's too low. Keeping sugar levels somewhat consistent through the day is the challenge we all face. I keep a high sugar source in my bag if I get in trouble with a low sugars while shooting. I usually pack a lunch because you can't depend on gun club food for the right kind of foods that we need. I stay well hydrated but HOT weather is absolutely killing me. All in all, I'm always thankful that my ass is still on this side of the grass. Duane

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
I like to eat something about an hour before I shoot.

That seems to work out the best for me.

I don't like it when my blood sugar gets to low.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
613 Posts
72 and diagnosed 6 yr.s ago. I really watch my diet and try to walk every day. Vision can change a lot, quickly. Before I was diabetic, I was in a shoot off at a state shoot tied with 97 s. One of the shooters was diabetic, he went and broke less than 15. He stated he should have gotten something to eat because he felt his sugar was low. That shows how quickly it can go south.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have battled "low" blood sugar or Hypoglycemia for most of my adult life.
That can turn into diabetes if not controlled through proper diet.
When I shot alot I found that by not eating a big breakfast and only eating
small amounts of healthy protein and fats an hour or so before shooting helped alot. I would eat a chicken thigh or some venison or sometimes nothing at all and never, never ate a big meal between events. If you eat a big meal your blood sugar goes up, and what goes up must come down (sleepy, groggy) or in the case of diabetes what goes up stays up!
Moderate exercise daily, ie, walking briskly, hiking etc..is proven to help stabilize blood sugar. A high protein and a high fat diet also does the same, but it has to be HEALTHY fats...coconut oil, olive oil, healthy animal fats...etc...

I also carried some apple juice with me while shooting in case I got "fuzzy".
After shooting was over I would eat a meal. Drink lots of water and stay hydrated, and eat only good quality protein in small amounts in one or two hour increments to stay "level".
Nuts are good and animal proteins too....carbs?, not so good.....

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't have diabetes but I do have nerve neuropathy in both feet which is common with diabetics .watch your sugar believe me you don't want this, its agonising at times, Dr said mine was caused by wearing boots and severe abuse, 30 years in a steelmill wearing metatarsals, racing Motocross, and being a Army Paratrooper.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts