Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in trapshooting history of the 1920s. My great uncle, Harry Kahler shot on several states, lived in Davenport, Iowa, and the Philadelphia area. The issue is...whatever happened to him? My father says he may have gone to Australia to shoot and never came back. I have found a lot of newspaper articles mentioning him, but not what happened to him or any mention of a trip to Australia.

Anybody got any hints for me?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Checked the early twenties average books under Iowa and Pennsylvania, no Kahler
listed. Must not shot registered targets at that time.

Sportalluring

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I've been researching shooters using Smith guns, and have a little on Harry. All from Sporting Life

At the fifty-third annual shooting tournament of the New York State Sportsmen's
Association, held at the Syracuse Yacht Club grounds, June 1911, in the special double event, Harry Kahler was high with 43 out of 50 using a Smith.

The sixth annual Eastern Handicap of the Interstate Association, shot over the traps of the du Pont Gun Club, Wilmington, Del., on July 11- 13 1911. The double championship presented a remarkable contest in that three tied with 92 out of 100, George Lyon and Fred Gilbert, professionals, and Harry Kahler, amateur.

Pinehurst, N. C., January 27, 1912
Harry W. Kahler, the young Philadelphia amateur, cut a high niche for himself in the trap-shooting Hall of Fame in the four-day Midwinter Handicap, which ended here today. Outrivaling one of the finest fields of amateur and professional shots ever gathered together outside of the Grand American Handicap,
Kahler made an almost clean sweep of the honors. Standing at 21 yards he smashed 98 out of 100 in the Midwinter Handicap event, the premier contest, setting what is undoubtedly a world’s Amateur record. He also won the high average over all, smashing 766 out of 800 targets, this including 100 from 20 yards and 100 from 21 yards, leading amateurs and professionals alike.

July 27 1912
Sea Girt, N. J., July 19. The first annual registered trap shooting tournament of the
New Jersey State Rifle Association Gun Club, at the famous Sea Girt range, on July 17 and 18. The program was 100 targets on practice day and 150 registered and 25 handicap targets on each of the two regular days. The handicap is to be an annual affair and will be known as the Sea Girt Handicap at 50 targets. Charles H. Newcomb, of Philadelphia, was high over all with 288 out of 300. Harry Kahler, another Philadelphian, was second amateur, with 285. William Foord, of Wilmington, Del., was third.

Cut and paste this link to the Sporting Life archives, enter his name, and you'll find lots of hits

http://search.la84foundation.org/search?site=default_collection&client=default_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&proxycustom=

The 12-21-12 Sporting Life has a picture of Harry

Reactions: o-hale

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! If you ever find out anything about what finally happened to him, or if he went to Austrailia please let me know.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
There is\was a Harry Kahler-- same spelling as you posted-- in Clinton Iowa--owner of Lateka marina & sporting goods store, may be a listing in the local phone directory.

I'm originally from Clinton and bought a few things from them. Don't know if this might help. Ross Puls

·
Registered
348 Posts
Greg Kahler,

Your uncle is one of many old-time shooters I've been researching for several years.

He became a Peters Cartridge Co. traveling shooter in 1906. He was known as the "boy wonder"

Placed 2nd in the Grand American Handicap.

He shot all over the East Coast.

He won the Wyeth Trophy, emblematic of the World Amateur Live Bird Championship in 1907.

He was the Amateur Champion of Philadelphia in 1911.

Won the National Amateur Championship in 1911 at the New York Athletic Club.

Pennsylvania State Champion in 1912.

He was one good shooter.

I think he worked at George S. McCarty's Dye Co. in Philadelphia. McCarty took him shooting all over and they were both members of the Highland Gun Club of that city. McCarty was the guy who was involved during the transfer of control of trapshooting from Industry to the Amateurs, oversaw construction of the homegrounds at Vandalia, OH in 1923-24 and became second President of the ATA.

I cannot answer your question because I too lost him. I know he moved back to Iowa but don't see him attending his father Charle's funeral in 1928.

One problem is that there are many many Harry Kahler's and even three or four Harry W. Kahler's, some from Iowa.

Do you know if his sister Lillian ever married?

Father Charles is buried at Fairmount Cemetery in Davenport and I would hope that Harry was there as well. Mother Catherine died sometime before 1920.

If you want to swap information send a PM.

Kenny Ray Estes
Pittsgrove, NJ

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Kenny Ray and Drew certainly dig up the history that is very interesting to an amateur history buff such as myself.

It is always wonderful to see all this history being preserved.

Dave in SC

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Thank you Kenny Ray.

He was second by one target behind Mark Arie for the Amateur Double Championship at the 1912 GAH 89/50 pairs to 88x50 pairs.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Cut and paste this link to the Sporting Life archives, enter his name, and you'll find lots of hits

http://search.la84foundation.org/search?site=default_collection&client=default_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&proxycustom=

The 12-21-12 Sporting Life has a picture of Harry

Sportalluring

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Here it is. "Will now make his home at Davenport Iowa"

·
Registered
348 Posts
I found the obituary of Charles F. KAHLER, Harry's father who died in 1928. According to the report, Harry W. was living in Alsaka.

Harry's mother Catherine died in 1916.

Another article mentions that Lillian M. Kahler, Harry's sister was executrix and the headline was "Kahler will Leave $6,000 to Son Harry." I get the impression that Harry was not at the funeral and the $6,000 was meant to bring him back to Davenport, Iowa.

Harry Kahler was mentioned as being a pupil of George S. McCarty, who apparently took the young Kahler under his guidence. They went to many shoots together and I've even found articles about them hunting together.

Kenny Ray

·
Registered
348 Posts

Here's young Kahler sitting next to George McCarty at the Midwinter Handicap at Pinehurst, N.C. in 1912.

Kenny Ray

Gosh the picture is really bad. Looks better on my computer.

Standing is Wright, Buckwalter and Al Ivins (1920 GAH Champion)

Sitting is Harry Kahler and George McCarty

Second picture are the professionals present at the shoot.

Lester S. German, R. W. Clancy and J. Mowell Hawkins

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go to the PSSA website. There is some history links on there. Try to contact the PSSA webmaster. He has tons of historical memorabilia, pictures, articles, ect. smokinold32

·
Registered
292 Posts
An old friend of the family, Forest W. McNair published his autobiography entitled "Forest McNair of Texas" by the Naylor Company in San Antonio. Copyright was in 1956. He was an excellent trapshooter and the part of the book about trapshooting begins in 1908. I'm sure he shot until at least 1956. He was on the winning 1920 Olympic Trapshooting Team. I feel sure this book was a limited edition and you may have some trouble finding a copy. However, he did a lot of traveling and shooting. If you are lucky to find one, I'll think you will find it interesting. I don't recall if he mentioned Mr. Kahler, but he covered a lot of the trapshooting territory.

Johnpe

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Harry Kahler & B.M. Higginson at the Country Club of Westchester Co., Pelham, New York, 1906

F. W. McNeir
, F. S. Wright, F. M. Troeh, H. R. Bonser, M. Arie, Jay Clark, Jr. (Capt). From "Trapshooting: The Patriotic Sport" by D. H. Eaton

McNeir, Forest - Inductees

Reactions: o-hale
1 - 20 of 27 Posts